Calculating the Hydrogen Spectrum: Understanding Energy Levels and Transitions"

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the wavelength for a red line in the hydrogen emission spectrum, as well as the identification of transitions in the infrared and ultraviolet regions. It is determined that the UV transition requires a larger energy change than initially calculated, and all transitions to -5.4 and -21.8 are in the visible and UV regions respectively.
Badrakhandama
Hi,
I have a question concerning a hydrogen spectrum:

There are 4 energy levels drawn:
Starting from the top

-1.4 * 10^-19 Joules
-2.4 * 10^-19 Joules
-5.4 * 10^-19 Joules
-21.8 * 10^19 Joules

1st question:
Going from the second level to the third from the top (from -2.4 to -5.4) gives rise to a red line int he hydrgen emission spectrum. Calculate the wavelength. I have done this, and found it to be 6.63 * 10-7 metres

2nd Question: This is where I am confounded!

Draw two arrows on the diagram labelled IR and the ther UK, to show the transitions giving rise to lines in the infrared and ultraviolet regions. Explain how you made your choice for both...

I know that Infrared usually has a wavelength of 10^-5 metres, and UV has 10^-8 metres.
From this, I tried to find what transition is required:

E2-E1 = Planck's COnstant * Frequency (Velocity/Wavelength).

But I do not think this is correct. HELP ANYBODY!

Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're doing fine.
The UV transition will involve a larger energy change, and the IR transition a smaller one than the calculation you did originally. The options are limited with those 4 levels you have so it shouldn't be hard to chose one each that fits.

But if UV transition requires a greater energy change, then why is it nt frm -1.4 to -5.4 * 10^-19?

Thanks

All transitions to -5.4 (The Balmer Series) are in the visible.
The answer is that the transition you mention, although a larger one, is still not enough to give UV.
All transitions to -21.8 are UV (The Lyman Series), and all transitions to -2.4 are IR (Paschen Series).

What is the Hydrogen Spectrum?

The Hydrogen Spectrum is a pattern of lines that are produced when the element hydrogen is excited by energy, such as an electrical current or heat. These lines are unique to hydrogen and can be used to identify the presence of the element.

Why is the Hydrogen Spectrum important?

The Hydrogen Spectrum is important because it provides evidence for the existence of energy levels in atoms, as well as the quantization of energy. It also helps us understand the structure of atoms and how they interact with energy.

How is the Hydrogen Spectrum produced?

The Hydrogen Spectrum is produced when energy is applied to a sample of hydrogen atoms. This energy causes the electrons in the hydrogen atoms to move to higher energy levels, and when they return to their original energy level, they emit light of a specific wavelength, creating the lines in the spectrum.

What can the Hydrogen Spectrum tell us about atoms?

The Hydrogen Spectrum can tell us about the energy levels and structure of atoms, as well as how they interact with energy. It can also help identify the presence of hydrogen in a sample.

How is the Hydrogen Spectrum used in science?

The Hydrogen Spectrum is used in various fields of science such as astronomy, chemistry, and physics. It is used to identify elements, study the structure of atoms, and understand the behavior of matter and energy. It is also used in spectroscopy, a technique used to analyze the chemical makeup of substances.