Hydrogen to AC -- From the Fuel Cell to the Grid

In summary, fuel cells quickly provide electricity from H2 when switched on. But what exact steps get to Grid voltage? Are there many small inverters, and if so, how do they keep the output in step? What sort of efficiencies are there?
Sclerostin
Fuel cells quickly provide electricity from H2 when switched on. But what exact steps get to Grid voltage? Are there many small inverters, and if so, how do they keep the output in step? What sort of efficiencies are there?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Just like solar pv panels, inverter electronics convert DC to AC, step up the voltage, match frequency and phase with the grid, and provide protection from McDougall and emergencies. They work the same for fuel cells. Sometimes they are called just "utility interface" boxes.

You can look up fuel cell variants, and the efficiency of each on Wikipedia.

For reasons I don't understand, domestic fuel cells are much more successful in Japan than in the USA.

Sclerostin said:
But what exact steps get to Grid voltage? Are there many small inverters, and if so, how do they keep the output in step?

Grid scale inverters are becoming more common.

Here's one that'll handle 5MVA at 690 Volts (about 4180 amps)
about 12 feet tall, weighs 4 tons.

https://new.siemens.com/global/en/products/energy/medium-voltage/systems/sinacon-pv.html

Likes Sclerostin
OK thanks. That is a help.
But given the Fuel Cell only pushes a few volts (how many, not sure) are there lots of little inverters or do you add the DC volts up and convert at some high voltage?

Sclerostin said:
But given the Fuel Cell only pushes a few volts (how many, not sure) are there lots of little inverters or do you add the DC volts up and convert at some high voltage?

If there's significant power you'd want to stack cells to make higher voltage.
Power is volts X amps and it's advantageous to not have to handle large currents, the wires are just too bulky.,

I have zero experience with fuel cells. Have you a link to the ones that sparked your interest?

Likes berkeman
Yes, I can guess the general idea but I was thinking about at the problems of Solar e' on a large scale. Companies use battery storage which is very costly and then still has to match ("instantaneously") Grid needs, needing another costly step, such as a synchronous motor. So an extra (costly) system is needed. I'm trying to see if H2 power has the same problem. You could store H2 in "gasometers" as was done years ago (CO +H2) but if its difficult to convert to grid voltage, its not an easy solution.

Just for general knowledge.

The Siemens link is very easy to understand: thanks.

Likes berkeman and jim hardy
Sclerostin said:
Yes, I can guess the general idea but I was thinking about at the problems of Solar e' on a large scale. Companies use battery storage which is very costly and then still has to match ("instantaneously") Grid needs, needing another costly step, such as a synchronous motor. So an extra (costly) system is needed. I'm trying to see if H2 power has the same problem.
Hydrogen is worse; more expensive, less efficient.

If you google or PF search "hydrogen economy" you'll find articles and threads from 10-15 years ago predicting it was on the way and newer articles and threads discussing why the idea died.

In short, fuel cells are inherently expensive and inefficient and in the meantime lithium batteries have gotten much cheaper, giving us Teslas and drones.

Some fuel cells operate on natural gas. They do not necessarily need pure hydrogen.

The schools in Ballston Spa, NY provide their own electric power using two piston engines converted to natural gas, and driving electric generators. In that case, I think that fuel cells must compete with those piston engines at the small scale. At the utility level, they need to compete with gas turbines and combined cycle gas-powered plants.

My presumption is that cell lifetime, not fuel, not efficiency is holding them back.

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation.

Likes jim hardy
OP's question has been answered. After some post deletions, the thread will remain closed. Thanks for the helpful replies.

1. What is a fuel cell?

A fuel cell is an electrochemical device that converts the chemical energy of a fuel, such as hydrogen, into electricity. It works by combining hydrogen and oxygen to produce electricity, heat, and water as byproducts.

2. How does hydrogen get converted to AC in a fuel cell?

In a fuel cell, hydrogen is first converted into electricity through a chemical reaction with oxygen. This electricity is then converted into alternating current (AC) using an inverter, which is a device that changes the direct current (DC) produced by the fuel cell into AC, which is the type of electricity used in our homes and buildings.

3. What is the role of the grid in the hydrogen to AC process?

The grid plays a crucial role in the hydrogen to AC process. The electricity produced by the fuel cell is fed into the grid, which then distributes it to homes and buildings for use. This allows for the widespread use of hydrogen fuel cells as a source of electricity.

4. What are the benefits of using hydrogen fuel cells for electricity production?

There are several benefits to using hydrogen fuel cells for electricity production. They are highly efficient, producing electricity with minimal waste. They also do not produce any harmful emissions, making them a clean source of energy. Additionally, hydrogen is a renewable resource, meaning it can be produced using renewable energy sources such as solar and wind power.

5. Are there any challenges to implementing hydrogen fuel cells for electricity production?

While hydrogen fuel cells have many benefits, there are also some challenges to implementing them for electricity production. One major challenge is the cost of producing and storing hydrogen. Additionally, there is currently a lack of infrastructure for distributing and using hydrogen as a fuel. However, as technology advances and demand for clean energy increases, these challenges are being addressed and overcome.