Hydrogenation of 1-Octene to n-Octene

• Thread starter nemzy
  • Start date
In summary, the reactions involve the use of 1-octene, hydrogen gas, and a catalyst (H2PtCl6). The hydrogen gas is generated by the action of HCl and NaBH4 in an alcoholic solution. The precatalyst, H2PtCl6, needs to be reduced to platinum(0) in order to catalyze the reaction. The amount of precatalyst used depends on the efficiency and turnover number of the catalyst.
nemzy
1) how many moles of h2 gas should be taken up by 1 octene in the courseof this reaction?

CH3-(CH2)5-CH=CH2 -> (H2PtCl6) -> NaBH4, C2H5OH, HCL -> CH3-(CH2)5-CH2-CH3

Answer is 2 right?

2) What volume does this correspond to at STP?

How can i solve this part?

3) how many moles of molecular hydrogen are consumed per mole of the precatalyst (H2PtCl6) in order to convert it enterily to platinum metal?

Isnt this 2 also?? what is the diff between this and the moles of H2 gas for the question #1?

4) How many moles of precataylst (H2PtCl6) are used in this reaction?

Again is isn't this 2??

My answers don't seem right and i am still a little dubios before submitting them...am i misunderstanding a simple concept here?

thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
First, don't be fooled by the number of strange formulae here, just look at the difference between the first and the second formulae; you'll see that two hydrogens are added to the second formula.

Hydrogen gas is generated by the action of HCl to the alcoholic solution of NaBH4. Four moles of HCl is needed to generate 2 moles of hydrogen gas, which will saturate two moles of the alkene. Hexachloroplatinate acid is the catalyst in this reaction, since platinum (and palladium) has the ability to absorb hydrogen gas inside, and this will catalyze the hydrogenation. Generally, catalysts are used in 1-5% proportion, or even in 0,1%. This depends on the efficiency and turnover number of that catalyst.

How many moles of 1-octene was used in the reaction? So, you can assume the mole number of hydrogen gas needed. Also, the mole numbers of NaBH4 or HCl are needed, since these are the generators.Then you'll be able to calculate the volume at STP.

The precatalyst, hexachloroplatinate, seems to absorb two hydrogen ions already, making two hydride ions available to attack the carbocation, i.e., CH-CH2, as I indicated in boldface. In this respect, 0.5 moles seem to be enough in my opinion, since only one hydride and one hydrogen cation are needed to saturate the alkene.

In your penultimate question, (#3), I think a redox reaction takes place, so platinum(IV) is reduced to platinum(0) with the action of hydrogen gas, so hydrogen will be oxidized to proton, taking six chlorine atoms to form HCl.

[tex]Pt^{4+}+4e^-\longrightarrow Pt[/tex]
[tex]2H_2\longrightarrow 4H^++4e^-[/tex]

[tex]H_2PtCl_6 + 2H_2 \longrightarrow Pt + 6HCl[/tex]

This will help you, but they are not available for you to directly submit them, You'll have to understand and simplify them in order to submit in your homework. Please be respectful to my effort and ask anything you didn't understand.

Last edited:
for the help!

1) Based on the balanced chemical equation, 1 mole of 1-octene will react with 1 mole of H2 gas. Therefore, the number of moles of H2 gas required for the reaction would be 1 mole.

2) To determine the volume of H2 gas at STP, we can use the ideal gas law: PV = nRT. At STP (standard temperature and pressure), T = 273 K and P = 1 atm. The molar volume of any ideal gas at STP is 22.4 L/mol. Therefore, the volume of H2 gas required would be 22.4 L.

3) The reaction of H2PtCl6 with NaBH4, C2H5OH, and HCl results in the reduction of the platinum (IV) ion to platinum metal. This means that for every mole of H2PtCl6 used, 2 moles of H2 gas are consumed. This is because each platinum (IV) ion requires 2 electrons to be reduced to platinum metal. Therefore, the number of moles of H2 gas consumed per mole of H2PtCl6 is 2 moles.

4) The stoichiometry of the reaction shows that for every mole of H2PtCl6 used, 1 mole of 1-octene is consumed. Therefore, the number of moles of H2PtCl6 used in the reaction would also be 1 mole.

1. What is the purpose of hydrogenation of 1-octene to n-octene?

The purpose of hydrogenation of 1-octene to n-octene is to convert 1-octene, which is an unsaturated hydrocarbon, into a saturated hydrocarbon called n-octene. This process is often used in the production of various industrial chemicals and fuels.

2. What is the reaction mechanism for hydrogenation of 1-octene to n-octene?

The reaction mechanism for hydrogenation of 1-octene to n-octene involves the addition of hydrogen gas to the double bond of 1-octene, resulting in the formation of a single bond and the conversion of the double bond into a single bond. This process is catalyzed by a metal catalyst, such as palladium or platinum.

3. What are the key factors that affect the efficiency of hydrogenation of 1-octene to n-octene?

The key factors that affect the efficiency of hydrogenation of 1-octene to n-octene include the type of catalyst used, reaction temperature, pressure, and reactant concentration. The choice of catalyst and reaction conditions can greatly influence the rate and selectivity of the reaction.

4. How does the hydrogenation of 1-octene to n-octene differ from other hydrogenation reactions?

The hydrogenation of 1-octene to n-octene differs from other hydrogenation reactions in terms of the type of reactant and the desired product. 1-octene is an unsaturated hydrocarbon with one double bond, while other compounds may have multiple double bonds or different functional groups. The desired product of this specific hydrogenation reaction is n-octene, while other reactions may have different target products.

5. What are the potential applications of n-octene produced from the hydrogenation of 1-octene?

The n-octene produced from the hydrogenation of 1-octene has various potential applications, including the production of plasticizers, synthetic lubricants, and detergents. It can also be used as a precursor in the synthesis of other chemicals and fuels. Its versatility and availability make it a valuable compound in the chemical industry.