Finding the Right Hydrology Book for Civil Engineering Students

In summary, the conversation is about finding a good hydrology book for a 3rd year Earth science course with introductory geology and physics prerequisites. The recommended book is Physical Hydrology (2nd Edition) by S. Lawrence Dingman, but the person also mentions considering Applied Hydrogeology (4th Edition) by C.W. Fetter. They also mention having taken advanced physics courses and being a student in the Earth Sciences field.
Pyrrhus
Homework Helper
Does anybody knows of a good hydrology book??

I am a civil engineering student, i want mostly applied stuff and at the undergraduate level.

Physics news on Phys.org
My school uses Applied Hydrogeology (4th Edition) by C.W. Fetter. It's for a 3rd year Earth science course with intoductory geology and physics as prereqs.

EDIT: woops, that's for hydrogeology, the one we use for hydrology is Physical Hydrology (2nd Edition) by S. Lawrence Dingman.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying. I will look into that book. Btw, i might consider the Hydrogeology one too, i took a Geology and all the general physics (plus advanced).

Are you a civil engineering student?

No, I'm in Earth Sciences.

1. What is hydrology and why is it important for civil engineering?

Hydrology is the study of the distribution, movement, and quality of water on Earth. It is important for civil engineering because it helps engineers understand the behavior of water in the environment, which is crucial for designing and constructing water-related infrastructure such as dams, bridges, and irrigation systems.

2. What should a hydrology book for civil engineering students cover?

A hydrology book for civil engineering students should cover topics such as hydrologic cycle, precipitation, evapotranspiration, infiltration, surface and groundwater flow, hydrologic data analysis, and hydrologic modeling. It should also include case studies and practical applications for civil engineering projects.

3. Are there any recommended textbooks for hydrology in civil engineering?

Yes, there are several recommended textbooks for hydrology in civil engineering. Some popular options include "Applied Hydrology" by C. Ven Te Chow, "Introduction to Hydrology" by Warren Viessman Jr. and Gary L. Lewis, and "Hydrology for Engineers" by Ray K. Linsley, Max A. Kohler, and Joseph L. H. Paulhus.

4. Are there any online resources or supplemental materials that can help supplement a hydrology book for civil engineering students?

Yes, there are many online resources and supplemental materials that can help supplement a hydrology book for civil engineering students. Some examples include online lectures, practice problems, and interactive simulations. Additionally, many textbooks have companion websites with additional resources and study aids.

5. How can I determine if a hydrology book is suitable for civil engineering students?

To determine if a hydrology book is suitable for civil engineering students, you can look at the table of contents to see if it covers the necessary topics for civil engineering. You can also read reviews from other civil engineering students or professionals to get their opinions on the book's relevance and usefulness. Additionally, you can consult with your professors or academic advisors for their recommendations.