1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HYDROLOGY - Return periods at various peak flow rates

1. Feb 14, 2012 #1
    Hello!
    Talking about hydrological data (flow rates), I need to calculate the values of return periods to different flow rates and probability distributions... Does anyone know how to do it?

In practice, peak flow rates of different return periods can be obtained by the equation:
    x=σK
    Where, μ and σ are the mean and standard deviation of the hydrologic observation, K is the frequency factor depending on the skew coefficient and probability distribution and the function of return period.

So, I know how to calculate the peak flow rate for a specific return period, but I don't know how to do the opposite... get return period from a peak flow rate. I know it depends to the probability distribution, but talking about the most general distribution like log-normal, gumbel, etc...Any idea??

I would appreciate your help!
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted