1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrostatic Equilibrium and Forces

1. Feb 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two Piston cylinders are connected by a pipe with radius (Rp). Piston 1 which is located at height (h1) with an area (a1) is pushed down with a force (F1). In the opposite cylinder, Piston 2 is at a height (h2) with an area (a2), with force (F2) pushing up on the piston due to pascal's law. Piston system is filled with water with a viscosity (p).

Givens :
    F1 = 100 N
    Rp = 6 m
    h1 = 5 m
    h2 = 10 m
    a1 = 10m^2
    a2 = 20m^2
    p = 1000kg/m^3

Given the information, what opposing force must be applied to piston 2, to make piston system stay in hydrostatic equilibrium?

2. Relevant equations
    P = F/A
    delta h = h2 - h1

3. The attempt at a solution

I initially looked at this and thought that pascal's law would be able to work, however upon inspection, cannot be used due to the different liquid height.

With that in mind I started to take the Summation of the forces
    F = P * A
    F = rho*gravity*height
    height of 1 : h2-h1 = 5m = h1
    height of 2 : 10m

Sum F : F2 + F1 = 0

This is where I'm unsure, we have a pipe that connects the both and I know the velocity of the liquid accelerates in the area of the small tube, so it would make a difference in the equation.

F1 = P1 A1 + Ppipe Apipe
    F2 = P2 A2 + Ppipe Apipe

this is where I'm stuck
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted