1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrostatic force problem

1. Dec 10, 2006 #1
    A gate in an irrigation canal is in the form of a trapezoid 3 feet wide at the bottom, 5 feet wide at the top, with the height equal to 2 feet. It is placed vertically in the canal with the water extending to its top. For simplicity, take the density of water to be 60 lb/ft cubed. Find the hydrostatic force in pounds on the gate.

I am having problems setting this problem up. It looks like its really easy but I am just not sure how to start it.

I know F = density x gravity x area x depth

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2006 #2
    Because the force acts on the gate is not constant, i.e. force at the bottom is larger than that at the top , we have
    dF = density x gravity x depth x d(area)
    Do this integration over the trapezoid will yield the correct answer.

4. Dec 13, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Imagine the gate being divided into many narrow horizontal bands of width "[itex]\Delta y[/itex]". If y is the depth of a band, and [itex]\Delta y[/itex] is small enough that we can think of every point in the band as at depth y, then the force along that band is the pressure, 60(y) [NOT "times gravity"! The density of the water is weight density, not mass density!], times the area: the length of the band times [itex]\Delta y[/itex]. Of course, the length of the band depends on y: it is a linear function of y since the sides are straight lines, length(2)= 3 and length(0)= 5 so length(y)= -y+ 5. The force on that narrow band is 60y(5-y)[itex]\Delta y[/itex]. The total force on the gate is the sum of those,[itex]\Sum 60y(5-1y)\Delta y[/itex], as y goes from 0 to 2. In the limit, that becomes the integral
    [tex]60\int_0^5 y(5-y)dy[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?