Solved: Hydrostatic Force Calculation of Vertical Tank

In summary, the conversation discusses how to approximate and evaluate the hydrostatic force against the end of a tank containing freshwater. The method involves using Riemann sums and expressing the force as an integral. Two different approaches are presented, with the final correct answer being 2.29x10^6.
trekie4ever
[SOLVED] Hydrostatic Forces

Any Help would be GREATLY appreciated. My grade depends on me understanding this.

Homework Statement

A tank contains freshwater. The end of a tank containing water is vertical and has the indicated shape. Explain how to approximate the hydrostatic force against the end of the tank by a Riemann sum. Then express the force as an integral and evaluate it.

calculus.jpg

Homework Equations

F=pgAd
A=wdx

The Attempt at a Solution

F= int 0->5 1000(9.8)2sqrt(100-y^2)(5)
98000*int 0->5 sqrt(100-y^2)
u=100-y^2
-1/2*du=dy
98000*int 75->100 u^(.5)
98000{(2/3)u^(3/2)} 75->100
64171414.85 N

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I figured it out finally...
The right answer should be 2.29x10^6. I actually did it right another way the first time.

F=(1000)(9.8)*int 0->5 (100-x^2)^.5(-2x)dx
=-9800{(2/3)(75^(2/3)-1000}0->5

U substitution works too... that's what I did hours ago, but I doubted my answer.

F=(1000)(9.8)(2)(5)*int 0->5 (100-x^2)^.5
=98000 int 0->5 sqrt(100-x^2)
u=100-x^2
-2dx=du
dx=-.5du
98000 int 75->100 u^.5
98000{(2/3)u^(3/2)}75->100

1. What is a vertical tank and why is it important to calculate its hydrostatic force?

A vertical tank is a storage vessel that has a cylindrical shape with a flat bottom and a fixed or floating roof. It is important to calculate the hydrostatic force because it helps determine the structural integrity and stability of the tank, which is crucial for safety and preventing leakage.

2. How is the hydrostatic force calculated for a vertical tank?

The hydrostatic force on a vertical tank is calculated by multiplying the density of the liquid in the tank by the height of the liquid above the bottom of the tank and the area of the tank's cross-section. This can be represented by the formula: F = ρghA, where ρ is the density, g is the gravitational constant, h is the height, and A is the cross-sectional area.

3. What factors can affect the hydrostatic force calculation for a vertical tank?

The main factors that can affect the hydrostatic force calculation are the density and height of the liquid in the tank, as well as the shape and size of the tank. Other factors that may need to be considered include the temperature and pressure of the liquid, as well as any changes in the tank's dimensions due to external forces.

4. How can the hydrostatic force calculation be used in practical applications?

The hydrostatic force calculation for a vertical tank is essential in many practical applications, particularly in the oil and gas industry. It is used to determine the maximum load capacity of storage tanks, as well as the required thickness and strength of the tank's walls to withstand the hydrostatic force. It is also important in designing and maintaining other types of storage vessels, such as water tanks and chemical tanks.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when calculating the hydrostatic force of a vertical tank?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when calculating the hydrostatic force of a vertical tank. It is important to use accurate and up-to-date data for the density and height of the liquid in the tank. Additionally, the tank should be properly inspected and maintained to ensure its structural integrity. It is also crucial to follow proper safety protocols, such as wearing protective gear and taking necessary precautions to prevent spills or leaks during the calculation process.