Does Hydrostatic Pressure Follow the Same Rules for All Shapes of Containers?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between pressure and density of water, and how it applies to different shapes of containers. It is explained that the pressure at the bottom of the container does not always equal the weight of the water, and this can result in different readings on a scale depending on the shape of the container. The issue is resolved by taking into account the vertical components of the pressure on the sides of the container.
brett351
My understanding is that the pressure below the surface of water is pgh.

p - density of water, g - accel of gravity, h - dist below surface

And that this relationship holds regardless of the shape of the container of water. (also, I'm neglecting the atmospheric pressure at the surface)

If I have a cylindrical beaker of water of height H and area A and put it on a scale, I can calc the reading of the scale two ways...

1) pressure at bottom times area is pgHA.

2) density times volume times g is also pgHA.

Both ways give the same reading. Now if the shape of the beaker is an hourglass which has an area at top and bottom of A (same as top and bottom of cylindrical beaker), the two ways don't yield the same result.

Method 1) yields the same result for both shapes but method 2) yields a smaller result for the hourglass. What wrong with my logic? Thanks, Brett.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand how you are measuring things. The two pressures are equal, but your method for measuring them is wrong.

brett351 said:
My understanding is that the pressure below the surface of water is pgh.

p - density of water, g - accel of gravity, h - dist below surface

And that this relationship holds regardless of the shape of the container of water. (also, I'm neglecting the atmospheric pressure at the surface)
OK.

If I have a cylindrical beaker of water of height H and area A and put it on a scale, I can calc the reading of the scale two ways...

1) pressure at bottom times area is pgHA.

2) density times volume times g is also pgHA.
The scale just measures the weight of the beaker of water. Method 1 gives the water pressure*area on the inside bottom of the beaker--this only equals the weight in the special case where the walls are vertical.

Both ways give the same reading. Now if the shape of the beaker is an hourglass which has an area at top and bottom of A (same as top and bottom of cylindrical beaker), the two ways don't yield the same result.
Because the pressure*area on the bottom of the hourglass beaker does not equal the net force on the beaker due to the water. The water also pushes up on other areas of the beaker surface. If you added up the net force that the water exerts on the entire beaker, that would equal the weight of the water.

HA is the volume of a cylinder...

Thanks Doc Al. Now I see that I forgot to take into account the vertical components of the pressures on the side of the hourglass, Brett.

1. What is hydrostatic pressure PGH?

Hydrostatic pressure PGH is the pressure exerted by a fluid at rest, due to the weight of the fluid above it. It is also known as the pressure gradient head or simply as pressure head.

2. How is hydrostatic pressure PGH calculated?

The formula for calculating hydrostatic pressure PGH is P = ρgh, where P is the pressure in Pascals (Pa), ρ is the density of the fluid in kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m^3), g is the acceleration due to gravity in meters per second squared (m/s^2), and h is the height of the fluid column in meters (m).

3. What factors affect hydrostatic pressure PGH?

The two main factors that affect hydrostatic pressure PGH are the density and the height of the fluid column. The higher the density of the fluid or the taller the fluid column, the greater the hydrostatic pressure PGH will be.

4. What are some real-world applications of hydrostatic pressure PGH?

Hydrostatic pressure PGH has many practical applications, such as in hydraulic systems, where it is used to generate mechanical power. It is also important in the design and construction of dams, water towers, and other structures that hold large amounts of water.

5. How does hydrostatic pressure PGH differ from atmospheric pressure?

Hydrostatic pressure PGH and atmospheric pressure are both forms of pressure, but they differ in their sources. Hydrostatic pressure PGH is caused by the weight of a fluid, while atmospheric pressure is caused by the weight of the Earth's atmosphere. Additionally, hydrostatic pressure PGH is typically greater than atmospheric pressure due to the larger weight of the fluid compared to the weight of the air.