1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrostatic Pressure

1. Jun 22, 2009 #1
    Is the equation for hydrostatic pressure limited to liquids? Or can it be used for air pressure as well?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2009 #2

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The concept of 'hydrostatic pressure' applies to fluids, either liquid or gas. Remember the pressure of the atmosphere decreases with increasing elevation, or increases with decreasing elevation, just as pressure in the oceans increases with depth.

Please provide the equation to which one is referring.

4. Jun 22, 2009 #3
    Sorry, here it is:

p = p0 + (rho)gh

So, I can calculate both the pressure at the bottom of an ocean and the pressure at the top of a mountain using this method?

5. Jun 22, 2009 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

In the case where the density does not change with pressure. For water (an incompressible fluid), that's a good approximation. For air, that's a bad approximation.

6. Jun 23, 2009 #5
    If you can get the exact density of the air on that heigth.

7. Jul 30, 2009 #6

mdz

i just wondering..i conduct an experiment last week on pressure inside a container.note that the container is filled with water.i've found out that the pressure on the top of the container is greater compared to the lower of the container.it's suppose to be the opposite right based on P=pgh?why does the this occured and plz correct me if i'm wrong.i used the pressure gage to take the measurement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook