1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrostatic Pressure

1. Sep 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cylindrical tank, with base radius 9.4 meter, lies on its side and is partially filled with a liquid whose density is [tex]\sigma[/tex]=1260 kilograms per cubic meter. The liquid fills the tank to a maximum depth of 14 meters. Determine the amount of force (in Newtons) exerted on a flat side of the tank.

2. Relevant equations

F=[tex]\sigma[/tex]dA

3. The attempt at a solution

I need help setting it up.

So far I have:

F= int (from -9.4 to 9.4) (14-y) 2(88.36-y^2)^(1/2)

Is that right? Or should be from 0 to 14?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The pressure is a variable function of the depth. You have to integrate the pressure over the area of the end of the tank.

4. Oct 1, 2009 #3
    You need to let the depth be a function of y. You might be able to use y-14, but you will definitely need a y somewhere (finding depth as a function of y can be tricky and was one of the hardest things for me for these kinds of pressure problems since there can be more than one way to set it up).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook