Solved: Calculating Barge Rise from 7 Tonnes of Grain Removed

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the height the barge will rise in water after 7 tonnes of grain is removed from it. Archimedes' principle is used to determine the volume of water displaced by the barge, and this is used to calculate the height of the barge. The final solution is determined to be 0.28m.
cd19

Homework Statement

A barge has a waterline area 25m2 and sides that can be assumed to be vertical. If 7 tonnes of grain is removed from the barge by how much will the barge rise in the water. Assume that the grain was evenly distributed and the barge rises without tilting.

Homework Equations

not fully sure, see my attempt

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly I figure if I find the hydrostatic force acting on the area of the barge, by F=Area*(density*gravity*Heightcentroid i can then find the force when 7 tonnes has been removed, and then create an integral expression to calculate the height the barge has rised..I reckon I'm thinking about this the complete wrong way, can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider Archimedes' principle. How much less water does the boat displace once the grain is removed?

The original weight of water displaced (weight of barge which is unknown) - 7 tonnes.. I see what your saying but how will i incorporate this?

cd19 said:
The original weight of water displaced (weight of barge which is unknown) - 7 tonnes.. I see what your saying but how will i incorporate this?
So what volume of water does that correspond to?

the volume of the removed grain (25m2*heightbarge-volume of removed grain (7 tonnes=7000kg). would I be right to let this = force acting down on the barge to find the height of the barge or is this step unnecessary.. its the abstract that is confusing me

sorry would it correspond to the volume of water the removed grain has displaced, do i have to use integration to find the height now?

Maybe doing the problem backwards might help. Imagine the barge is empty. Now you dump 7000 kg of grain onto it. What additional volume of water do you have to displace? You know the cross-sectional area of the barge, so how far does the barge sink further into the water to displace that additional volume of water?

cd19 said:
sorry would it correspond to the volume of water the removed grain has displaced,
Yes.
do i have to use integration to find the height now?
All you need is volume = area*height.

density = mass/volume therefore the volume = 7000/1000 = 7

volume = area * height, height=7/25 = 0.28m

does this look correct?

thanks a lot for your help.

cd19 said:
density = mass/volume therefore the volume = 7000/1000 = 7

volume = area * height, height=7/25 = 0.28m

does this look correct?
Perfectly correct.

What is the purpose of calculating barge rise?

The purpose of calculating barge rise is to determine the amount of water displacement that occurs when a certain weight of grain is removed from a barge. This is important for ensuring the safety and stability of barges during transportation.

What is the formula for calculating barge rise?

The formula for calculating barge rise is: Barge Rise = (Weight of Grain Removed / Grain Density) * (1 - Water Density / Grain Density)

What is the grain density and water density used in the formula?

The grain density used in the formula is the weight of the grain per unit volume, typically measured in kilograms per cubic meter. The water density used in the formula is the weight of water per unit volume, which is approximately equal to 1000 kg/m³.

How is the weight of grain removed determined?

The weight of grain removed can be determined by weighing the barge before and after the grain is removed, and then taking the difference between the two weights. It is important to ensure an accurate measurement of the weight to obtain an accurate barge rise calculation.

Why is calculating barge rise important for transportation?

Calculating barge rise is important for transportation because it helps to ensure that the barge is not overloaded, which can lead to instability and potential accidents. It also helps to determine the appropriate amount of cargo that can be safely loaded onto a barge for transportation.