1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrostatic question!

1. May 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A barge has a waterline area 25m2 and sides that can be assumed to be vertical. If 7 tonnes of grain is removed from the barge by how much will the barge rise in the water. Assume that the grain was evenly distributed and the barge rises without tilting.

2. Relevant equations

not fully sure, see my attempt

3. The attempt at a solution

Firstly I figure if I find the hydrostatic force acting on the area of the barge, by F=Area*(density*gravity*Heightcentroid i can then find the force when 7 tonnes has been removed, and then create an integral expression to calculate the height the barge has rised..I reckon I'm thinking about this the complete wrong way, can anyone help?

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Consider Archimedes' principle. How much less water does the boat displace once the grain is removed?

4. May 15, 2009 #3
    The original weight of water displaced (weight of barge which is unknown) - 7 tonnes.. I see what your saying but how will i incorporate this?

5. May 15, 2009 #4

Doc Al

So what volume of water does that correspond to?

6. May 15, 2009 #5
    the volume of the removed grain (25m2*heightbarge-volume of removed grain (7 tonnes=7000kg). would I be right to let this = force acting down on the barge to find the height of the barge or is this step unnecessary.. its the abstract that is confusing me

7. May 15, 2009 #6
    sorry would it correspond to the volume of water the removed grain has displaced, do i have to use integration to find the height now?

8. May 15, 2009 #7

Doc Al

Maybe doing the problem backwards might help. Imagine the barge is empty. Now you dump 7000 kg of grain onto it. What additional volume of water do you have to displace? You know the cross-sectional area of the barge, so how far does the barge sink further into the water to displace that additional volume of water?

9. May 15, 2009 #8

Doc Al

Yes.
    All you need is volume = area*height.

10. May 15, 2009 #9
    density = mass/volume therefore the volume = 7000/1000 = 7

volume = area * height, height=7/25 = 0.28m

does this look correct?

thanks a lot for your help.

11. May 15, 2009 #10

Doc Al

Perfectly correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook