Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hyper-Cerebral Electrosis

1. Jan 13, 2004 #1
    This is pretty bizzare.

Hyper-Cerebral Electrosis

http://aether.lbl.gov/www/classes/p139/explode.html

It seems that a chess champion's head actually exploded when he thought too hard for too long! :-)
    That's pretty darn gross!

They continue
    Moral of the story - Don't think too hard or you head might explode. :-)

What I don't get is how the pressure could build to such an extent that the head explodes? Is blood being pumed to the brain so much by the heart that the skull cracks and explodes?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2004 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jan 13, 2004 #3
    This makes more sense than someone's head actually exploding. It was the source of that link that confused me. However I found this quoted at many university web sites. While the source is a tabloid it does not mean that the story is fake.

The question becomes - is there a more accurate source for this claim?

Thanks

Arcon

5. Jan 13, 2004 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was also surprised to find out what kind of website weeklyworldnews REALLY is :)

6. Jan 14, 2004 #5

Another God

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I posted a thread on this just recently. If I wasn't so lazy I would go find that thread and link to it.

7. Jul 18, 2011 #6
    That's why I don't play chess

8. Jul 18, 2011 #7

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF ThunderPants, I think you may win the award for necroposting. If you check the dates next to people's names you will see that no one has commented here for 7 years!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?