Hyper geometric distrubution?

• Thread starter ivan_x3000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometric
In summary, Shirley starts with 13 red and 7 green arrows in her quiver. At the end of the competition, when she has shot 12 arrows, the probability that she has an equal number of red and green feathered arrows remaining in her quiver is determined by the hyper geometric probability distribution, using 9 red and 3 green arrows and leaving her with 4 of each. The probability is calculated as (12,12)*(13/20)^9*(7/20)^3.
ivan_x3000

Homework Statement

(a) At the start of the competition, Shirley has 20 arrows in her quiver (a quiver is a container which holds arrows). 13 of Shirley’s arrows have red feathers, and 7 have green feathers. Arrows are not replaced when they are shot at the target.

(i) At the end of the competition, when Shirley has shot 12 arrows, what is the probability that she has an equal number of red and green feathered arrows remaining in her quiver?

Homework Equations

Torn between binomial probability and hyper geometric probability distribution

hyper geometric = (C(r,x)*C((n-r,n-x))/(N,n)
N is the population (12 arrows)
n is the number of events (12 picks)
r is the sample space of the the variable we want to focus on either (either 13 or 7)
x is how many of the focus we want to accumulate so if we want 3/13 reds then the number is 3

The Attempt at a Solution

13/20, 7/20

in order to be equal in 9 red (4/13, 3 green (4/7)

so n(12,12)*(13/20)^9*(7/20)^3
Criteria:independent(assumed), probability is constant(assumed), two possible outcomes1

i was going to use hyper geometric but i have no idea how to make the arrows equal in hyper geomtericc
*Because of random selection this is the right one to use but i have no idea how to make the feathers qual

Physics news on Phys.org
ivan_x3000 said:

Homework Statement

(a) At the start of the competition, Shirley has 20 arrows in her quiver (a quiver is a container which holds arrows). 13 of Shirley’s arrows have red feathers, and 7 have green feathers. Arrows are not replaced when they are shot at the target.

(i) At the end of the competition, when Shirley has shot 12 arrows, what is the probability that she has an equal number of red and green feathered arrows remaining in her quiver?

Homework Equations

Torn between binomial probability and hyper geometric probability distribution

hyper geometric = (C(r,x)*C((n-r,n-x))/(N,n)
N is the population (12 arrows)
n is the number of events (12 picks)
r is the sample space of the the variable we want to focus on either (either 13 or 7)
x is how many of the focus we want to accumulate so if we want 3/13 reds then the number is 3

The Attempt at a Solution

13/20, 7/20

in order to be equal in 9 red (4/13, 3 green (4/7)

so n(12,12)*(13/20)^9*(7/20)^3
Criteria:independent(assumed), probability is constant(assumed), two possible outcomes1

i was going to use hyper geometric but i have no idea how to make the arrows equal in hyper geomtericc
*Because of random selection this is the right one to use but i have no idea how to make the feathers qual

Think it through: how many red and green arrows does she start with? How many red and green arrows does she end up with (if the desired event occurs)? So, how many red and green arrows did she use?

I went with hyper geometric aiming to use up 9 red and 3 green, living 4 of each.

1. What is the Hypergeometric Distribution?

The Hypergeometric Distribution is a probability distribution that is used to model the probability of obtaining a certain number of successes in a sample of a specific size, without replacement, from a population of a specific size that contains a fixed number of successes.

2. How is the Hypergeometric Distribution different from the Binomial Distribution?

The Hypergeometric Distribution is different from the Binomial Distribution in that it does not involve trials with fixed probabilities of success and failure. Instead, it involves sampling without replacement from a finite population, while the Binomial Distribution involves sampling with replacement from an infinite population.

3. What are the parameters of the Hypergeometric Distribution?

The three main parameters of the Hypergeometric Distribution are:

• The population size (N)
  • The number of successes in the population (K)
  • The sample size (n)

4. What are some real-life applications of the Hypergeometric Distribution?

The Hypergeometric Distribution is commonly used in quality control to determine the probability of finding defective items in a sample. It is also used in genetics to determine the likelihood of a specific combination of traits occurring in a population.

5. Can the Hypergeometric Distribution be used for continuous data?

No, the Hypergeometric Distribution can only be used for discrete data, as it involves counting the number of successes in a sample. If the data is continuous, a different distribution, such as the Normal Distribution, would be more appropriate.