1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hyperbola Arch

1. Feb 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An arch is the shape of a hyperbola. IF it s 300m wide at its base and has a maximum height of 100m, how high is the arch 30m from the end ?

Note: this is a rectangular hyperbola.
    2. Relevant equations

(y-h)^2 - x^2 = a

3. The attempt at a solution

I determined the verticies is (0,0) and there are two points (-150,-100), (150,100) I also know that there must be a vertical translation for the centre to be higher than (0,0).

But what I can figure out is how to solve for h and a using two different coordinates. If someone could help me with the algebra that'd be awesome.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

How do you get (-150,-100)? That would be underground, no? What about y when x = 300?

4. Feb 6, 2013 #3
    I'm trying to set it as easily as I can without a horizontal shift. However maybe a vertice of (0,100) and points (-150,0) and (150,0) would be better.

5. Feb 6, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Either way is fine, but I think you had the coordinates wrong in your first way. It looked like you had the origin on the ground at one end of the arch, right? So the y coord should never have been negative.
    The set you propose now, with the arch endpoints symmetric about the origin, looks right. So, what equations do you get?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook