What does the 'h' in the hyperbola equation mean?

• Thread starter Quarlep
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hyperbola
In summary, the conversation discusses the hyperbola equation seen in Leonard Susskind's lectures, which includes the hyperbolic functions cosh and sinh. The "h" in the equation stands for hyperbolic and the properties of these functions are similar to those of the usual cos and sin functions. The conversation also mentions learning about hyperbolic geometry to fully understand the concept.
Quarlep
I am studying leonard susskind lectures and there I saw a hyperbola equation

I didnt understand that equation what it means coshw or sinhw or total equation(In 49 minute) what's the "h"in there I need help (you can look also 52 min)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The professor miswrote on the board, it should be

[tex]1=\cosh^2w-\sinh^2w[/tex]

Where

[tex]\cosh{x} = \frac{e^x+e^{-x}}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\sinh{x} = \frac{e^x-e^{-x}}{2}[/tex]

They're represented in this way because they appear frequently and quite often have very similar properties to the usual cos and sin trig functions, such as

[tex]\cosh^2w-\sinh^2w=1[/tex]
versus
[tex]\cos^2w+\sin^2w=1[/tex]

whats the "h" means there I need to lear hyperbolic geometry to learn it I guess

Last edited:
The h stands for hyperbolic.
The sine function is denoted by sin, and evaluating the sine of [itex]\pi[/itex] is done by calculating [itex]\sin(\pi)[/itex].
Similarly, the hyperbolic sine function is denoted by sinh and evaluating this function at x=5 is done by [itex]\sinh(5)[/itex], except we can also represent the sinh function by
[tex]\sinh(x)=\frac{e^x-e^{-x}}{2}[/tex]
hence
[tex]\sinh(5)=\frac{e^5-e^{-5}}{2}[/tex]

I understand it thanks

1. What is the general equation for a hyperbola?

The general equation for a hyperbola is (x-h)^2/a^2 - (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the hyperbola and a and b determine the size and shape of the hyperbola.

2. What is the difference between a horizontal and a vertical hyperbola?

A horizontal hyperbola has its transverse axis along the x-axis, while a vertical hyperbola has its transverse axis along the y-axis. This affects the placement of the center and the values of a and b in the general equation.

3. How do you graph a hyperbola?

To graph a hyperbola, first determine the center and the values of a and b from the given equation. Then, plot the center point and use the values of a and b to determine the length and position of the transverse and conjugate axes. Finally, plot points along the hyperbola using the general equation.

4. What are the asymptotes of a hyperbola?

The asymptotes of a hyperbola are the lines that the hyperbola approaches but never touches. They are found by using the center point and the values of a and b to determine the equations of the two lines that are tangent to the hyperbola at its vertices.

5. How can the hyperbola equation be used in real life?

The hyperbola equation can be used in real life to model many natural and man-made phenomena, such as the orbits of planets, the shape of satellite dishes, and the propagation of electromagnetic waves. It is also used in engineering and architecture to design structures with specific curves and shapes.