1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hyperbola equations

1. Aug 21, 2005 #1
    Using a domain of {x | -50 < x < 50} and a range of {y | 0 < y < 20}, determine the following types of equations that you could use to model the curved arch.

The equation of a hyperbola in the form , where b = 10. The lower arm of the hyperbola would represent the arch.
    ((x-h)^2)/(a^2)-((y-k)^2)/(b^2)=-1

i have 2 questions about this number one shouldn't the equations be

((x-h)^2)/(b^2)-((y-k)^2)/(a^2)=-1 because it should be a hyberbola that opens up and down?
    and second how do i solve this?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are missing part of the problem. Does the question give you a value for C, the distance from the origin to the foci?

AM

4. Aug 22, 2005 #3
    nope it does say that the graph is supposed to be a curved arch that will have horizontal span of 100m and a maximum height of 20m.

5. Aug 23, 2005 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok. That is useful. Assume the curve touches the x axis at x=-50 and +50 and reaches maximum y of 20 at x=0. You just have to determine the values for a and k (h=0 if it is to be centred around x=0).

Let x=0 and y = 20 to work out value for k: [itex](y-k)^2 = b^2[/itex]
    Then let x = 50 and y=0 to get the value for a: [itex]b^2x^2 - a^2(y-k)^2 = -a^2b^2[/itex]

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?