1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hyperbola homework

1. Jan 23, 2008 #1

The question ebfore had me find the equation of the tangent for any parametizaton values of (x(t),y(t)).

Which is y = -x/t^2 + x(t)/t^2 + y(t)

I'm pretty sure the case that a tangent to the hyperbola cant pass through the point is because the point lies inside the curve.

So basically all i have to do is show that for x = 4 in the original equation has a y value less than 4, and for y = 4 in the equation has a x value less than 4? By the way I sketched the graph.

Did I do this right?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

I don't understand your answer for the parametrisation of the hyperbola, the expression gives me y = y(t), which doesn't say much, to say the least.

I don't think you have to parametrise the curve anyway. You first have to find dy/dx by differentiating implicitly and then suppose there is a tangent line to the curve which passes through (4,4) in the form y= mx + c. Let m=dy/dx. Just make sure you express dy/dx in terms of one variable, either y or x only.

Then you have 2 equations:

[tex]4 = 4m + c [/tex]

[tex] y_{0} = mx_{0} + c[/tex]

where [tex]y_{0} and x_{0}[/tex] is the point on the hyperbola for which a tangent line to it passes through (4,4). As above, you should be able to express [tex]y_{0}[/tex] in terms of [tex]x_{0}[/tex] alone. Then you now have 2 equations and 2 unknowns, x0 and c. Try solving for them and see what happens.

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve with your quasi-graphical method, being able to sketch the graph helps, but it's entirely possible to do this analytically as above.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?