What is the Equation of the Locus of Points in the Hyperbola or Ellipse Problem?

In summary: It would have been a hyperbola if it had said "... is 3 times as far from the point (4,0) as from the y axis".
Appleton
1. Homework Statement

The following question is posed within a section of my A level maths book titled "The Hyperbola"

A set of points is such that each point is three times as far from the y-axis as it is from the point (4,0). Find the equation of the locus of P and sketch the locus

2. Homework Equations 3. The Attempt at a Solution

If P is a point (x,y) on the locus, and N is the intersection on the y-axis of the line through P, parallel to the x axis, and S is the point (4,0) then
[itex]
PN = 3PS\\

PN^2 = 9PS^2\\
x^2 = 9((x-4)^2+y^2)\\
\frac{8}{9}x^2+y^2-8x+16=0\\
[/itex]
Which I believe is an elipse, but my book indicates that it is a hyperbola with it's answer of
[itex]
8x^2-y^2+8x-16=0
[/itex]

Is my book wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Appleton said:
1. Homework Statement

The following question is posed within a section of my A level maths book titled "The Hyperbola"

A set of points is such that each point is three times as far from the y-axis as it is from the point (4,0). Find the equation of the locus of P and sketch the locus

2. Homework Equations 3. The Attempt at a Solution

If P is a point (x,y) on the locus, and N is the intersection on the y-axis of the line through P, parallel to the x axis, and S is the point (4,0) then
[itex]
PN = 3PS\\

PN^2 = 9PS^2\\
x^2 = 9((x-4)^2+y^2)\\
\frac{8}{9}x^2+y^2-8x+16=0\\
[/itex]
Which I believe is an elipse, but my book indicates that it is a hyperbola with it's answer of
[itex]
8x^2-y^2+8x-16=0
[/itex]

Is my book wrong?

Yes, YOU are right. You can even plot the curve in some package such as Maple to see what is happening.

You can even argue intuitively that the curve must be bounded in the plane, because if you could take ##x \to \infty ## very large (and ##y## moderate) on the curve you would have have (approximately) ##x \approx 3 (x-4)##, so ##x \approx 6##, contradicting the condition that ##x \to \infty## is very large.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
Yes, YOU are right. You can even plot the curve in some package such as Maple to see what is happening.

You can even argue intuitively that the curve must be bounded in the plane, because if you could take ##x \to \infty ## very large (and ##y## moderate) on the curve you would have have (approximately) ##x \approx 3 (x-4)##, so ##x \approx 6##, contradicting the condition that ##x \to \infty## is very large.
Thanks, it's encouraging to know that writers of maths books fall prey to the same kind of mistakes that I do, if a little less frequently.

Appleton said:
Thanks, it's encouraging to know that writers of maths books fall prey to the same kind of mistakes that I do, if a little less frequently.
Can happen. The hyperbola they give as result is the solution of the exercise "A set of points is such that each point is three times as far from the y axis point (4,0) as it is from the point (4,0) y axis."

Appleton said:

It would have been a hyperbola if it had said "... is 3 times as far from the point (4,0) as from the y axis".

1. What is the difference between a hyperbola and an ellipse?

A hyperbola and an ellipse are both types of conic sections, but they have different shapes. An ellipse is a closed curve that looks like a flattened circle, while a hyperbola is an open curve with two branches that look like infinite U-shapes.

2. How do you identify a hyperbola or an ellipse?

To identify a hyperbola or an ellipse, you need to look at the equation of the conic section. If the equation contains both x^2 and y^2 terms with different coefficients, it is a hyperbola. If the coefficients are the same, it is an ellipse.

3. What is the focus of a hyperbola or an ellipse?

The focus of a hyperbola or an ellipse is a point inside the curve that is equidistant from all points on the curve. For an ellipse, there are two foci, while for a hyperbola, there are two foci, one on each branch.

4. How can you solve problems involving hyperbolas and ellipses?

To solve problems involving hyperbolas and ellipses, you can use the standard equations for each conic section. These equations can help you find important properties such as the center, foci, vertices, and asymptotes of the curve.

5. What are some real-life applications of hyperbolas and ellipses?

Hyperbolas and ellipses have many real-life applications in fields such as astronomy, physics, and engineering. For example, the orbits of planets and satellites around a central body can be described by ellipses, while the shape of a satellite dish can be modeled by a hyperbola.