1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hyperbola problem

1. Dec 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find an equation of a hyperbola that passes through origin and has asymptotes y = 2x+1 and y= -2x+3

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have got the center ( 1/2,2 ) and as it passes through the center i have this equation

4/a2 - 1/(4b2) from this information how can i get the ratio a/b ?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2009 #2

Homework Helper

Draw a diagram first (with reasonable accuracy). Notice that to have the hyperbola pass through the origin with those asymptotes, it must be an "up-down" hyperbola. This means the standard form for the hyperbola that youve used needs to be equal to -1 rather than 1.

So you have [tex]\frac{4}{a^2}-\frac{1}{4b^2}=-1[/tex]

And it isn't possible to get the ratio a/b out of this equation. You need to use another piece of information. For a standard hyperbola that has the centre at the origin, what are the equations of its asymptotes?
  4. Dec 19, 2009 #3
    I know the fact that it is a up down hyperbola. considering that info and the coordinate of the center i have this form of equation :

(y-2)2 /a2 - (x-1/2)2/b2 = 1and putting (0,0) in this equation i get this form

4/a2 - 1/(4b2) = 1

so i guess it should be right. I have to find now the ratio a/b. And the general form of asymptote lines for a hyperbola in standard position is

y-k = +- b/a (x-h) where h,k is the coordinate of the center.
  5. Dec 19, 2009 #4

Homework Helper

Ahh yes sorry for that. Long, embarrassing story short, I mixed up the b and a.

Ok so what is the ratio of b/a then? If you're unsure, notice the similarity between that formula, and the point-gradient formula for a line:

[tex]y-k=\pm \frac{b}{a}(x-h)[/tex]

Now when you find the ratio of b/a, you can simultaneously solve that with the other equality to find both a and b.

I now realize what the little mix up about how the standard form should be set out was. We were both wrong. Again, I'm sorry, I found conics kind of dodgy when I studied them a while back, so now my memory has made it worse. But trust that I'm right now :wink:

The standard side-side hyperbola with centre at (h,k) is [tex]\left(\frac{x-h}{a}\right)^2-\left(\frac{y-k}{b}\right)^2=1[/tex] This formula is most important and you can adapt the other types from this one!

But when you're dealing with up-down hyperbolas, it is instead equal to -1.

So what we have when multiplying through by -1 is [tex]\left(\frac{y-k}{b}\right)^2-\left(\frac{x-h}{a}\right)^2=1[/tex]

See how the b divides the y coordinate, not the x.
    Now just follow the previous advice I had given, and all will fall into place :smile:
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  6. Dec 20, 2009 #5
    so i have to find the gradient of those two lines ? It gives me 2 and -2 for those two lines. Then b/a = +-2 ?
  7. Dec 20, 2009 #6

Homework Helper

Yes that's right.

Simultaneously solve

[tex]\frac{b}{a}=\pm 2[/tex]

But you should notice that that when you square both sides it rids you of the [itex]\pm[/itex] so don't be freaked out by it :smile:
  8. Dec 20, 2009 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi farmd684! Thanks for the PM. :smile:
    Start again …

since the centre is (1/2,2), the equation must be (x - 1/2)2/a2 - (y - 2)2/b2 = constant,

so use the ratio a/b from the given asymptotes.
  9. Dec 20, 2009 #8
    The focal axis should always be defined as (a) in hyperbola (or not). So in my book all up down hyperbola are defined by y2/a2 - x2 /b2 form. I also know that for a updown hyperbola i have asymptotic ratio defined by a/b whereas it is b/a for a right left. As the coordinates are below both of the asymptotic lines so should't it be a updown hyperbola thus following the pattern y2/a2 ? :confused:

A similar problem from book which answer is given :

Asymptotes y=x-2 and y=-x+4 and passes through the origin.
    center ( 1/2,2)
    they have found a/b=2 how they got it ?
  10. Dec 20, 2009 #9

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi farmd684! :smile:

I don't know why you're following all these rules …

a hyperbola (with asymptotes of equal slope) has to be of the form (x - p)2/a2 - (y - q)2/b2 = constant …

if the constant is positive it'll be up-down, and if it's negative it'll be left-right (or is it the other way round?) …

just put the numbers in and see what works …

the constant has to be such that x = y = 0 (in this case) satisfies the equation, and also such that when x = y = ∞, y = ± 2x.

That's all you need to know! :wink:
  11. Dec 20, 2009 #10

Science Advisor

Look at
    [tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}- \frac{y^2}{b^}= 1[/tex]
    for very large values of x and y. For "regular size" a and b, both [itex]x^2/a^2[/itex] and [itex]y^2/b^2[/itex] will be very, very large. In fact, that poor little "1" on the right is negligible in comparison.

That is, for very large x and y, the graph will be very close to the graph of
    [tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}- \frac{y^2}{b^2}= \left(\frac{x}{a}- \frac{y}{b}\right)\left(\frac{x}{a}+ \frac{y}{b}\right)= 0[/tex]
    which is just the two straight lines corresponding to x/a= y/b and x/a= -y/b or [itex]y= \pm\frac{b}{a}x[/itex].

As to how your book got b/a= 2 from asymptotes y=x-2 and y=-x+4, I have no idea. Since those lines have slope 1 and -1, it should be b/a= 1, not 2. The two lines intersect, of course, where y= x- 2= -x+ 4 so that 2x= 6, x= 3. Then y= 3-2= -3+ 4= 1. If the asymptotes are y= x-2 and y= -x+ 4, as you say, the center is at (3, 1), not (1/2, 2). Such a hyperbola must be of the form [itex](x-3)^2- (y-1)^2= k[/itex] for some (non-zero) number k. If, in addition to having those asymptotes, the hyperbola passes through the origin, we must have [itex](-3)^2- (-1)^2= 8= k[/itex] so that k is either 10 or -10 giving either [itex](x-3)^2- (y-1)^2= 8[/itex] or [itex](x-3)^2- (y-1)^2= -8[/itex] so that [itex](y-1)^2- (x-3)^2= 8[/itex].

That is, such a hyperbola must be either
    [tex]\frac{(x-3)^2}{8}- \frac{(y-1)^2}{8}= 1[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{(y-1)^2}{8}- \frac{(x-3)^2}{8}= 1[/tex]
  12. Dec 20, 2009 #11
    Thanks for the explanation :smile:
    The book definitely published wrong answer.
    Well you wrote
    so that k is either 10 or -10. It should be 8 or -8 right ?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook