How Is a Hyperbola Formed from Conic Sections?

• Thread starter barryj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hyperbola
In summary, conic sections are different shapes formed when a plane cuts through two cones placed tip to tip. These shapes include a circle, ellipse, parabola, and hyperbola. A hyperbola is formed when the cutting plane is parallel to the axis of the cones, cutting both the top and bottom cone. If the cutting plane is not exactly parallel to the axis, it will still form a hyperbola. This can be visualized by constructing two cones and making the cut.
barryj
Conic sections are formed when a plane cuts a double cone, i.e. two cones placed tip to tip along the same axis. A circle is when the plane is perpendicular to the axis, an ellipes when the plane is slightly canted, a parabola when the plane is EXACTLY parallel to the edge of the cones so that the plane cuts only one of the cones. Now the question.

Every diagram I have seen shows the hyperbola being formed when the cutting plane is parallel to the axis of the cones. The plane therefore cuts both the top and bottom cone. What do you get if the cutting plane cuts through both cones but is not exactly parallel to the axis of the cones. Is this still a hyperbola or some other function?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's still a hyperbola.

I find this hard to visualize. So the cut on the top cone would be symmetrical to the cut on the bottom cone as a hyperbola?

barryj said:
I find this hard to visualize. So the cut on the top cone would be symmetrical to the cut on the bottom cone as a hyperbola?

Yes. Just as when you get an ellipse (tha is not a circle) if the cut is not perpendicular to the axis.

I guess the best way to convince you is to either read a (geometrical) proof of it, or to construct two cones yourself and make the cut.

Likes 1 person

I can explain that a hyperbola is formed when a plane cuts through both cones at an angle. This results in two curves that are mirror images of each other and are asymptotic to each other. The shape of a hyperbola is determined by the angle at which the plane cuts through the cones. If the plane is not exactly parallel to the axis of the cones, the resulting shape may not be a perfect hyperbola, but it will still have the defining characteristics of a hyperbola. It may be slightly distorted or elongated, but it will still have two curves that are asymptotic to each other. Therefore, it can still be considered a hyperbola, just with slight variations in its shape.

1. How is a hyperbola formed from conic sections?

A hyperbola is formed by taking a plane and intersecting it with a right circular cone at an angle that is greater than the angle of the cone's side. The resulting shape is a symmetrical curve with two separate branches, known as a hyperbola.

2. What are the defining characteristics of a hyperbola?

A hyperbola has two asymptotes, which are lines that the curve approaches but never touches. It also has a center point, two vertices, and two foci. The distance between the vertices and the distance between the foci are constant and are used to define the shape of the hyperbola.

3. What is the equation of a hyperbola?

The general equation of a hyperbola is (x-h)^2/a^2 - (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center point, a is the distance from the center to the vertices, and b is the distance from the center to the foci.

4. How is a hyperbola different from other conic sections?

A hyperbola is the only conic section that has two separate branches. It is also the only conic section with two foci. In contrast, an ellipse and a circle have one focus, and a parabola has no foci.

5. What are some real-life applications of hyperbolas?

Hyperbolas are commonly seen in satellite orbits, where the Earth's gravitational pull creates a hyperbolic path. They are also used in optics, such as in telescopes and satellite dishes, to reflect and focus light. Additionally, hyperbolas have been used in architecture, art, and design for their unique and visually appealing shape.