Solving for Focus Points on a Hyperbole Formula | x^2-3y^2=3

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
In summary, the formula for a hyperbola is x^2 - 3*y^2 = 3. The goal is to find a dot on the hyperbola where the sum of the distances between the dot and the focus points equals 6. To solve this problem, the formula is divided by 3 to find the values of a^2 and b^2. The focus point is then determined using the formula c^2 = a^2 + b^2. However, the definition of a hyperbola is based on the subtraction of distances from every point to the focus point, not the sum. To incorporate the concept of sum of distances, an ellipse can be introduced into the problem. By finding the
transgalactic
the formula of the hyperbole is x^2 -3*y^2=3.

find a dot on the hyperbole that the sum of the distances
between the dot and the focus points equals to 6

i devided all the formula by 3 in order to find a^2 ,b^2
i found the focus point by the formula c^2=a^2 +b^2

the problem is the the definision of the hyperbole
is that the subtraction of distances from every point to
the focus point equals to 2a

there is no law about the sum of the distances?

only the law i mentioned before deals with them

the answer in the book (+-3:+-2)

please help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sure. Sum of the distances=6 would define an ellipse. So you want to find a point that is both on this ellipse and your original hyperbola. Sounds like an intersection problem to me.

no ellipse involved i know that a sum of distances is an ellipse definition

but there is no ellipse here

My suggestion was to put an ellipse into the problem! The one defined by sum of the focal distances = 6. That will give you a second equation in x,y to intersect with your hyperbola.

i didnt understand
if i will create such an ellipse ,
it will mean that 2a=6 a=3
thats will leave me B unknown for this ellipse??

and even if i some how find B
does these shared points will be these points we are looking for??

Last edited:
You know the foci of the ellipse (they are the same as the hyperbola). You know the sum of the focal distances (6). Isn't that enough to write down an equation for the ellipse?

even if we put the same foci and we will find this ellipse
why the should shared points of the given hyperbole and this ellipse
represent the points we are looking for??

Last edited:
The shared points will be both on the hyperbola and have the sum of the focal distances = 6 (since they are on the ellipse). Isn't that what you want?

ahhhhhhhh ok
thanks

This is the zillionth time I've seen hyperbola misspelled hyperbole! The zillionth I tells ya! :tongue:

in the dictionary it says hyperbole

There are two different words. Hyperbola is the geometric figure, hyperbole (pronounced like hyper-bolee) means an exaggeration or overstatement. French/latin etc use hyperbole for the geometric figure. Hyperbolic can refer to both. Fascinating!

BTW, a statement can be elliptical or circular as well. Don't be confused!

1. How do I find the focus points on a hyperbola?

To find the focus points on a hyperbola, you can use the formula c = √(a^2+b^2), where a and b are the coefficients of x^2 and y^2 respectively. In the equation x^2/a^2 - y^2/b^2 = 1, the focus points will be located at (±c, 0). In the equation x^2/a^2 - y^2/b^2 = -1, the focus points will be located at (0, ±c).

2. What is the significance of the focus points on a hyperbola?

The focus points on a hyperbola represent the points of intersection between the transverse axis and the asymptotes. They also play a crucial role in determining the shape and orientation of the hyperbola.

3. Can the focus points on a hyperbola be imaginary?

Yes, the focus points on a hyperbola can be imaginary if the hyperbola is rotated and/or translated on the coordinate plane. In this case, the focus points will have complex coordinates.

4. How do I graph a hyperbola with focus points?

To graph a hyperbola with focus points, first plot the focus points on the coordinate plane. Then, draw the transverse axis passing through the focus points. Next, draw the asymptotes passing through the focus points and intersecting at the center of the hyperbola. Finally, sketch the curve of the hyperbola using the asymptotes as guides.

5. Can I determine the focus points on a hyperbola without the formula?

Yes, it is possible to determine the focus points on a hyperbola without the formula by using the properties of a hyperbola. These include the fact that the distance from any point on the hyperbola to the focus points is constant, and that the product of the distances from any point on the hyperbola to the two focus points is equal to the square of the length of the transverse axis.