1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hyperbolic cosine

1. Jul 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove the identity:

Cosh(x) + Cosh(y) = 2Cosh[(x+y)/2]Cosh[(x-y)/2]

2. Relevant equations
    Cosine sum-to-product

3. The attempt at a solution
    Can you use the same formula for Cosine sum to product for hyperbolic cosine?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you know how cos x is related to cosh x?
    Or more precisely, how x and y are related if cos x=cosh y?

To prove your identity, you could use a variant of the proof you hopefully used for cos.
  4. Jul 23, 2007 #3
    I'm not sure how they're related, we went through them very quickly and very briefly. I do know that cosh(x) is e^x + e^-x all over 2, but we didn't spend a lot of time on them.
  5. Jul 23, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The relation is pretty simple, cosh(x)=cos(i*x). It's pretty easy to show this using the power series for cos(x) and e^x. Does that help?
  6. Jul 25, 2007 #5

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Or Alternatively, from Euler's Identity a definition of cosine follows:
    [tex]\cos x = \frac{ e^{ix} - e^{-ix}}{2}[/tex]. That explains the connection.

As for another method to prove the relation, replace all the Hyperbolic Cosines with their exponential definition and rearrange into what you want to see.
  7. Jul 25, 2007 #6
    That works! I replaced the right side into the definition, combined terms, and then separated, and got it. thanks a lot guys.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?