1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hyperbolic function question

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    Hey guys,

I was doing some work on hyperbolic functions and teaching myself to solve some equations. One of the questions in the book really has me stumped:

Express using exponential definitions of cosh(x) and sinh(x) find the exact solution of:
    tanh(x) + sinh(x) = 3

I had a go at solving it and this is how far I got:

2tanh(x) + 2sinh(x) = 6

2(e2x -1)/(e2x -1) + ex - e-x = 6

e3x - 4e2x - 8 - e-x = 0

e4x - 4e3x - 8ex - 1 = 0

then if y=ex

y4 - 4y3 - 8y -1 = 0

After this I get stuck. I can't find any factors in order to solve it using factor theorem so I'm guessing I'm going to get some wierd solutions - but the question asks specifically for exact answers?

Would anyone mind please helping me out? (I really hope I haven't made some pathetic little mistake but I really can't see anything...)

Thanks in advance,
    Oscar

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2009 #2

uart

Science Advisor

Your working looks correct and a numerical solution would be easy enough but yeah I cant see any way to get an "exact" solution here either.

Here's another approach which you may find useful (btw it leads to a slightly simpler equation but still no "exact" solution that I can see - though maybe someone else will).

Just about every trig identity for standard trig functions has a counterpart for the hyperbolic trig's. In this case it's the hyperbolic counterpart of the t=tan(x/2) identities that are useful. These identies are :

[tex]t = \tanh(x/2)[/tex]

[tex]\tanh(x) = 2t/(1+t^2)[/tex]

[tex]\sinh(x) = 2t/(1-t^2)[/tex]

[tex]\cosh(t) = (1+t^2)/(1-t^2)[/tex]

Using the identities for tanh and sinh above in your equation it's pretty easy to obtain :

[tex]3t^4 + 4t - 3 = 0[/tex]

Numerically t = 0.63106 and [itex]x = 2 \tanh^{-1}(t)[/itex] = 1.4863 to 5 sig figures. This solution also works in your equation (and of course in the original hyperbolic equation) so we can safely assume it is "correct" - though unfortunately just a numerical solution.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook