Solving Hyperbolic Functions: cothx - \frac{1}{x}

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of hyperbolic functions and a question involving xcothx and cothx - 1/x. The participants discuss different approaches and potential solutions, with one person realizing a mistake in their calculations and ultimately solving the problem.
Brewer
[SOLVED] Hyperbolic functions

As part of a long winded "show that" question I've ended up at the point where I have [tex]xcothx[/tex] and I want to show that this is equal to [tex]cothx - \frac{1}{x}[/tex] only I have no ideas how to get there. I can't see any reason why this should be so, but I'm pretty confident that I'm correct so far (in fact I know I am!).

Obviously I could take the "magic step" when doing this kind of question (in that I could just write the final answer down, and hope that I'm close enough for this step to be intuitive) but I'd quite like to know the step to take.

Thanks in advance guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
erm … when x = 1, xcothx = coth1, but cothx - 1/x = coth1 - 1 … so they're not equal. :frown:

How did you get to that position?

Well, you aren't going to be able to prove that because it pretty obviously isn't true. In particular, you would be proving, taking x= 1, that coth(1)= coth(1)- 1 which can't be true.

Meh, so the guy I checked my working with up until now is wrong.

So what I did is
[tex]
U=-\frac{d(lnZ)}{d\beta}[/tex]
[tex]=-\frac{1}{z}\frac{dZ}{d\beta}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{-\beta \mu B}{sinh(\beta \mu B)}(\mu Bcosh(\beta \mu B)[/tex]
[tex]=-\frac{\mu ^2 B^2 \beta cosh(\beta \mu B)}{sinh(\beta \mu B)[/tex]
[tex]=-\mu B(\beta \mu Bcoth(\beta \mu B)[/tex]where [tex]Z = \frac{sinh(\beta \mu B)}{\beta \mu B}[/tex]

Are there problems with what I've done then?

Last edited:
I've tried to correct the latex, but if it hasnt come out properly then the line that's gone wrong is the unfactorised form of the final line

Solved. Helps when you remember your quotient rule

1. What is the definition of a hyperbolic function?

A hyperbolic function is a type of mathematical function that relates the values of the exponential function to those of the trigonometric functions. It is written in terms of the hyperbolic sine (sinh), hyperbolic cosine (cosh), hyperbolic tangent (tanh), and their inverses.

2. How do you solve for cothx - \frac{1}{x}?

To solve for cothx - \frac{1}{x}, you can use the definition of the hyperbolic cotangent function, which is cothx = \frac{coshx}{sinhx}. Then, substitute this into the equation and rearrange to get x = \frac{1}{tanhx}. You can then solve for x using algebraic manipulations.

3. What is the relationship between cothx - \frac{1}{x} and the hyperbolic cotangent function?

The equation cothx - \frac{1}{x} is equivalent to \frac{coshx}{sinhx} - \frac{1}{x}, which is the definition of the hyperbolic cotangent function. This means that cothx - \frac{1}{x} is just another way of writing the hyperbolic cotangent function.

4. How can solving cothx - \frac{1}{x} be useful in real-world applications?

Hyperbolic functions, including the hyperbolic cotangent function, are commonly used in fields such as physics and engineering to model various physical phenomena. Solving equations involving these functions can help in understanding and predicting these phenomena.

5. Are there any special techniques for solving cothx - \frac{1}{x}?

There are no specific techniques for solving cothx - \frac{1}{x}, but it can be helpful to have a good understanding of algebraic manipulations and the properties of hyperbolic functions. Additionally, using a graphing calculator or computer software can also assist in finding solutions for this equation.