1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hyperbolic Geometry Question

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that the magnitude of the impact parameter B equals the length (-b) of the hyperbolic semiminor axis.

2. Relevant equations

|B|=|b|=|a|sqrt(e^2-1)

3. The attempt at a solution

I really don't know where to start. I was thinking of finding a relation between a and b but that is just the right hand side of the equation above (for hyperbolic geometry). I was thinking about the Pythagorean theorem, but then I don't know how |B|=|a+b| would become |a|sqrt(e^2-1). Could anyone help me along the right direction? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2
  4. Oct 7, 2008 #3
    bumping one more time, is there anyone out there that can help?

5. Oct 7, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would do it this way. Take a general hyperbola in standard position. x^2/a^2-y^2/b^2=1. That puts a vertex at the point xy point (sqrt(a^2+b^2),0). An asymptote is the line y=bx/a. The impact parameter is the distance from the vertex to the asymptote line. If you work that out you should get b. Which is the semi-major axis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?