1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hyperbolic sine

1. Mar 11, 2007 #1
    I'm trying to solve a problem in E&M, and I got an equation which depends on p and q, which I can solve provided I can write [itex] sinh(\sqrt{p^2 + k^2} \pi) [/itex] as a product of a function of p, with a function of k. If I can do that, I can solve the problem, but I don't know how to do that part (or if it's even possible). Any ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2007 #2
    I would try writing the Taylor expansion of sinh and see if that gets you anywhere. However, I don't think you can split it up like that...
  4. Mar 12, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Most likely it's a transcendental equation (since sinh is a transcendental function) that can't be solved analytically... Sad situation.
  5. Mar 12, 2007 #4

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think if you look at an earlier stge of the problem, you may be able to separate there.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?