Does Geometry Influence Sound Propagation?

In summary, the problem involves two recording devices set 2400 feet apart, with one to the west of the other. A small amount of explosive is detonated at a point 400 feet from the second device. The recording devices record the time the sound reaches each one. To achieve the same time difference as the first detonation, a second explosion should be done directly north of the second device. The formula for a hyperbola, c^2 = a^2 + b^2, is important in this problem, along with the relationship between a, b, and c. The book also mentions that if P(x, y) is a point on the hyperbola, and F1 and F2 are its two f
amd123

Homework Statement

Two recording devices are set 2400 feet apart, with the device at Point A to the west of the device at point B. At a point on a line between the devices, 400 feet from point B, a small amount of explosive is detonated. The recording devices record the time the sound reaches each one. How far directly north of site B should a second explosion be done so that the measured time difference recorded by the devices is the same as that for the first detonation?

Homework Equations

I have no clue.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried drawing a diagram and setting up an equation like this:
(x^2/(400^2))-(y^2/800sqrt(2))=1

now I have no idea if that is right or what to do after that.

Physics news on Phys.org
amd123 said:

Homework Statement

Two recording devices are set 2400 feet apart, with the device at Point A to the west of the device at point B. At a point on a line between the devices, 400 feet from point B, a small amount of explosive is detonated. The recording devices record the time the sound reaches each one. How far directly north of site B should a second explosion be done so that the measured time difference recorded by the devices is the same as that for the first detonation?

Homework Equations

I have no clue.
How about the formula for a hyperbola, and the relationship between a, b, and c in the formula?
amd123 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried drawing a diagram and setting up an equation like this:
(x^2/(400^2))-(y^2/800sqrt(2))=1

now I have no idea if that is right or what to do after that.

i know the hyperbola equation
and that c^2 = a^2 + b^2

And what are a, b, and c in your hyperbola? Where are the foci in your hyperbola? Where are the vertices in your hyperbola?

A property of hyperbolas that is important in this problem is that if P(x, y) is a point on the hyperbola, and if F1 and F2 are its two foci, then PF1 - PF1 equals a constant.

Im guessing that c = the distance between A and B.
a = the difference in time that the sound reaches the points
b = what I need to find?

I'm still unsure at how I'm reaching this conclusion, my book just says this is true and doesn't explain why.

amd123 said:
Im guessing that c = the distance between A and B.
a = the difference in time that the sound reaches the points
b = what I need to find?

I'm still unsure at how I'm reaching this conclusion, my book just says this is true and doesn't explain why.
Your book should provide some discussion of hyperbolas, including their equations and what a, b, and c mean. Here is a link to some other information - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbola.

1. What is hyperbolic sound travel?

Hyperbolic sound travel refers to the phenomenon in which sound waves travel in a curved path, rather than a straight line, due to changes in temperature and pressure in the atmosphere. This results in the sound being heard at a longer distance than expected.

2. How does hyperbolic sound travel occur?

Hyperbolic sound travel occurs due to a phenomenon known as refraction, where sound waves bend as they pass through different layers of air with varying temperatures and pressures. This bending causes the sound to travel in a curved path, similar to how light bends when passing through a prism.

3. What factors affect hyperbolic sound travel?

The main factors that affect hyperbolic sound travel are temperature, pressure, and humidity. These variables can change the speed of sound, which in turn affects the bending of sound waves and the distance they can travel.

4. How does hyperbolic sound travel impact communication?

Hyperbolic sound travel can have a significant impact on communication, especially in outdoor environments. It can cause distortions and delays in sound, making it difficult for people to understand each other. It can also lead to a phenomenon called acoustic shadows, where certain areas may not be able to hear a sound due to the bending of sound waves.

5. Can hyperbolic sound travel be controlled or manipulated?

While we cannot control or manipulate hyperbolic sound travel, we can predict and compensate for it. This is important in fields such as aviation and meteorology, where accurate communication is crucial. Scientists also study hyperbolic sound travel to better understand the Earth's atmosphere and how it affects sound propagation.