Solving Hyperboloid Problem: Finding Points of Parallel Normal Line

• Thread starter bodensee9
  • Start date
In summary, the person is seeking help with finding points on a hyperboloid where the normal line is parallel to a given line. They mention using the gradient vector of the hyperboloid to find the direction of the normal line, and realizing that it must be a scalar multiple of the given line. They also mention the need to satisfy the equation of the hyperboloid.
bodensee9

Homework Statement

Hello, can someone tell me where I went wrong? So, I am supposed to find the points on the hyperboloid x^2-y^2+2z^2 = 1 where the normal line is parallel to the line that joins the points (3,-1,0) and (5,3,6).

Homework Equations

I think I'm supposed to find the gradient vector of the hyperboloid, because that has the direction of the normal line.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, if I'm right, the gradient of the hyperboloid is <2x, -2y, 2z>, and that is supposed to have the same direction as the vector <2, 4, 6>. So, wouldn't I just be looking for values of x, y, and z that is in multiples of <2, 4, 6>? That seems wrong to me. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't the gradient be <2x, -2y, 4z>? Then you'd need to find (x,y,z) such that <2x, -2y, 4z> is a scalar multiple of <2, 4, 6> AND (x,y,z) must lie on the given hyperboloid, i.e. it must satisfy x2 - y2 + 2z2 = 1.

1. What is a hyperboloid?

A hyperboloid is a three-dimensional surface that resembles a hyperbola. It can be described as a surface of revolution generated by rotating a hyperbola around one of its axes.

2. What is the purpose of solving a hyperboloid problem?

The purpose of solving a hyperboloid problem is to find the points on the surface of the hyperboloid where the normal line is parallel to a given line or plane. This is useful in various applications such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics.

3. What information is needed to solve a hyperboloid problem?

To solve a hyperboloid problem, you will need the equation of the hyperboloid, the equation of the given line or plane, and the coordinates of any known points on the surface of the hyperboloid.

4. How do you find the points of parallel normal line on a hyperboloid?

To find the points of parallel normal line on a hyperboloid, you can use the method of Lagrange multipliers. This involves finding the critical points of a function that represents the distance between the given line or plane and the surface of the hyperboloid.

5. Are there any special cases when solving a hyperboloid problem?

Yes, there are two special cases when solving a hyperboloid problem: when the given line or plane is tangent to the hyperboloid, and when the given line or plane is parallel to the axis of revolution of the hyperboloid. In these cases, the solution will involve finding the intersection of the given line or plane and the hyperboloid.