1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hypercubes in a college class

1. Jul 21, 2011 #1
    Have been reading up on tesseracts lately and I was wondering what class in college if any include the learning of these. Was thinking it would be a physics class of some sort but at the same time it could be a math class too.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2011 #2
    Higher dimensional geometry or just a standard advanced geometry class.

4. Jul 22, 2011 #3
    We were studying hypervolumes and stuff in calc 3, actually.

5. Jul 22, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hmmm, this depends really. A lot of math classes will give you the tools to handle hypercubes, but they will rarely ever mention it.
    Some classes that could be useful are:
    - advanced calculus
    - differential geometry (for hyperspheres and stuff)
    - topology of manifolds, algebraic topology

The only class where hypercubes and stuff were explicitely mentioned and studied was a class called "advanced group theory". The idea there was to describe a certain n-dimensional shape by studying its reflection group. The theory then moves on to Coxeter diagrams and the like. It's extremely interesting, but I don't know if that is what you're looking for?

What kind of study do you want to do on hypercubes?

6. Jul 22, 2011 #5
    Hhmm, I dont remember doing hyper-stuff in Calc 3, its been awhile since I took it. Ill have to look around for that book and see if anything is inside that is of value. All of these classes sound like high 300-400 level math classes, so unfortunately I wouldnt ever be able to take unless I tried to double major in math. I only got up to Lin. Algebra. :frown:

7. Jul 22, 2011 #6
    Some calculus textbook will include some discussions on hypersphere, cube etc. I get the impression that they are pure mathematical exercise with no real world applications.

8. Jul 22, 2011 #7
    We touched on them in Discrete Math.

9. Jul 23, 2011 #8
    Maybe y'all are talking about something else (I get that distinct impression in this thread), but any time you have a triple integral, it can be described in terms of a four-dimensional geometric object, or a hyperobject. These have loads of applications.

10. Jul 23, 2011 #9
    Definitely topology :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook