Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hypercubes in a college class

  1. Jul 21, 2011 #1
    Have been reading up on tesseracts lately and I was wondering what class in college if any include the learning of these. Was thinking it would be a physics class of some sort but at the same time it could be a math class too.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2011 #2
    Higher dimensional geometry or just a standard advanced geometry class.
  4. Jul 22, 2011 #3
    We were studying hypervolumes and stuff in calc 3, actually.
  5. Jul 22, 2011 #4
    Hmmm, this depends really. A lot of math classes will give you the tools to handle hypercubes, but they will rarely ever mention it.
    Some classes that could be useful are:
    - advanced calculus
    - differential geometry (for hyperspheres and stuff)
    - topology of manifolds, algebraic topology

    The only class where hypercubes and stuff were explicitely mentioned and studied was a class called "advanced group theory". The idea there was to describe a certain n-dimensional shape by studying its reflection group. The theory then moves on to Coxeter diagrams and the like. It's extremely interesting, but I don't know if that is what you're looking for?

    What kind of study do you want to do on hypercubes?
  6. Jul 22, 2011 #5
    Hhmm, I dont remember doing hyper-stuff in Calc 3, its been awhile since I took it. Ill have to look around for that book and see if anything is inside that is of value. All of these classes sound like high 300-400 level math classes, so unfortunately I wouldnt ever be able to take unless I tried to double major in math. I only got up to Lin. Algebra. :frown:
  7. Jul 22, 2011 #6
    Some calculus textbook will include some discussions on hypersphere, cube etc. I get the impression that they are pure mathematical exercise with no real world applications.
  8. Jul 22, 2011 #7
    We touched on them in Discrete Math.
  9. Jul 23, 2011 #8
    Maybe y'all are talking about something else (I get that distinct impression in this thread), but any time you have a triple integral, it can be described in terms of a four-dimensional geometric object, or a hyperobject. These have loads of applications.
  10. Jul 23, 2011 #9
    Definitely topology :)
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook