How do I calculate the volume of a hypercylindrical shape in n dimensions?

• Thread starter americanforest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the conversation discusses a math assignment given to a Physics major who lacks training in the specific area of math. The assignment is to find the volume of a shape that wraps around onto itself in n dimensions, similar to a cylinder. The suggestion is to use integration techniques from multivariable calculus and to partition the object into smaller pieces to calculate the volume. Additionally, information about the volume of a hypersphere can be easily found through a quick Google search. It is noted that volume is additive and the shape wrapping around itself should not pose an issue as long as volumes are not double counted.
americanforest
I'm a Physics major and my research mentor has given me a math assignment. He described what he wanted but, since I don't have any training in this area of math, I don't really know where to turn. I am supposed to find the volume of a shape that wraps around onto itself in n dimensions. I think of it as a cylinder. Anybody know where I can find information about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the integration techniques from multivariable calc.

Given the vaugeness of the question, I would be tempted to just integrate the volume parameterised by

[tex]S(r,\theta,z_1,z_2,\ldots,z_n) = (r\cos{\theta},r\sin{\theta},z_1,z_2,\ldots,z_n)[/tex]

But I think the question you might have been asked was to find the volume of a hypersphere. That's easily googled. And has a few interesting properties as you move through the dimensions

Last edited:
One important property of volume is that it is additive.
Partition your object into pieces whose volumes are easier to calculate... then add them up. That it wraps around onto itself shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't double count any volumes. (The lateral area of a cylinder ("the soup label") is the same as the area of the associated rectangle.)

What is hypercylindrical volume?

Hypercylindrical volume refers to the measure of space enclosed by a hypercylinder, which is a three-dimensional figure formed by rotating a hyperrectangle about one of its long sides.

How is hypercylindrical volume calculated?

The formula for calculating hypercylindrical volume is V = π * r^2 * h, where r is the radius of the hypercylinder and h is its height.

What are the applications of hypercylindrical volume?

Hypercylindrical volume is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is often used to calculate the volume of containers and tanks, as well as in the study of fluid dynamics and heat transfer.

How is hypercylindrical volume different from cylindrical volume?

Hypercylindrical volume and cylindrical volume are similar in that they both involve measuring the space enclosed by a cylinder-like figure. However, hypercylindrical volume is calculated for a hypercylinder, which has a curved surface, while cylindrical volume is calculated for a cylinder, which has a flat surface.

How does changing the dimensions of a hypercylinder affect its volume?

Changing the dimensions of a hypercylinder, such as its height or radius, will directly impact its volume. Increasing the height or radius will result in a larger volume, while decreasing these dimensions will result in a smaller volume.