Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hyperdrive feasibility

1. Sep 6, 2007 #1
    Ok i send this topic only for information about that topic. If some one have information and plan about that just post your reply. For Instance I got something interesting about that topic. A german have worked on an hyperdrive system and the US army is now working on a feasibility project. Here the link: http://www.newscientist.com/channel/fundamentals/mg18925331.200-take-a-leap-into-hyperspace.html

Thanks to everyone.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

4. Sep 7, 2007 #3

Staff: Mentor

If the German is Heim, then some of us have heard of the work.

I'm in the camp of skeptics. It's not proven and the New Scientist article doesn't give much to quell the skepticism. It would be nice if the article cited specific papers.

Some problems I see - "Dröscher and Häuser say that to completely counter Earth's pull on a 150-tonne spacecraft a magnetic field of around 25 tesla would be needed. While that's 500,000 times the strength of Earth's magnetic field, pulsed magnets briefly reach field strengths up to 80 tesla." Steady state fields in superconducting magnets have threshold of about 12 T before they loose their ability to maintain the field.

Scientists at National High Magnetic Field Laboratory have constructed a pulse magnet which generates a field up to 60T, but I believe that is within a small cavity. It is also a transient phenomenon.

I've not heard or read of any substantiation of Heim's theory. Nevertheless, the NASA and US Defense Department are always interested in alternative ideas/theories.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  5. Sep 7, 2007 #4
    It's a GOOD idea for the US Military to take an interest... what they don't want is the Chinese to develop Hyper Drive before they do... otherwise when they get to Mars they might find the Chinese there... with an upper hand....

<< post edited by berkeman >>
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?