1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hypereutectic melting point

1. Apr 2, 2004 #1
    [Originally posted to material science forum but no reply]

It's no surprise that if I take a particular metal and 'add' atoms of a second metal that has a lower melting point that the Tmelt of the combination is usually lower than that of the pure metal. This is hypoeutectic composition.

But it seems surprising that if a reverse this, take a low Tmelt metal and add atoms of a higher Tmelt the Tmelt of the combination is even lower. This is hypereutectic composition. In fact there is a minimum of Tmelt at the Eutectic composition.

Any insight into why adding a few percent of a higher Tmelt metal can lower the Tmelt of the combination?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2004 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Colligative properties of solutions, specifically the melting/freezing point depression.

4. Apr 3, 2004 #3
    Thanks, but this is just another way of stating my question. Solutions of 2 metals have a lower melting point. It doesn't help me understand why the melting point drops.

5. Apr 3, 2004 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe that the answer "why" lies in the fact that alloys are not chemically bonded, but more of a mixture, the presence of the different atoms interferes with the crystal structure of both species. Thus the bonds are weaker then if a single species was present.

I have seen 2 elemental room temperature solids mixed to from a liquid at the same temp. (Indium and Rubidium IIRCC)

6. Apr 4, 2004 #5
    Ok, so let's say we have a silver-Copper solid solution with 20% Cu in the Ag host. This lowers the melting point from 960 C to about 850 C. They are both FCC structures with atomic radii of 0.144 & 0.128. This lets the copper be substitutional in the FCC lattice of the silver host. The presence of the copper weakens the bonds in the surrounding area & strains the lattice (so it starts out with more energy than a lattice without copper). This makes it easier to breakup the solid with thermal energy.

I like it! Thanks.

Cool. Physically how were the 2 solids combined? In powdered form? two solid lumps just touching? This would be a fun demo for any physics class.

7. Apr 6, 2004 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As I recall the 2 solids were some what pliable, kinda like a thick putty. When massaged together they just melted into a puddle. I am not sure if body temp was part of the transfromation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?