1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hyperfine structure

1. Jun 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A transition happens for ##\lambda = 494nm## in the Cesium ions (##^133 Cs##) between a term in the ##5p^5 6s## configuration and term in the ##5p^5 6p## configuration. Five components are observed with the following energies (relative to the transition of least energy): 0, 2.40Ghz, 5.75GHz, 10.07GHz, 15.35GHz.

Find the value of the nuclear spin of ##^133 Cs## as well as the value of J for the term in the ##5p^5 6s## configuration

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not sure how to solve this. I probably have to use ##F = I + J##, with ##I## being the nuclear spin, which I have to find. I therefore need the value of ##F## and ##J##.

One of the problems here is that I do not know how to find the S and L for the above configurations.. Any help would be huge!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2015 #2
    What are the ##L,S,J## numbers for the two configurations? What are the selection rules for transitions between them?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted