Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hypergeometric D.E.

1. Oct 18, 2008 #1
    The Heun equation is a generalization of the hypergeometric D.E. to the case
    of four regular singular points. With the singular points at z=0,1,a,and inft,
    the Heun equation takes the form,
    (a) In terms of k_1, k_2, k_3, k_4 and a, calculate c_1, c_2, c_3, c_4 and e,
    such that the Riemann P-function for this Heun equation is
    w=P( 0 a 1 inft )
    ( 0 0 0 k_1 z)
    ( 1-k_3 1-k_4 1-e k_2 )
    (b) In the special case when k_4=0 and the general solution is free of
    logarithms at z=a, show that the Heun equation reduces to a hypergeometric
    equation. Give the general solution in terms of hypergeometric functions.
    (c) Obtain a quadratic equation for the accessory parameter c_5 in the
    special case when k_4=-1 and the general solution is free of logarithms at
    z=a. (In this case, z=a is an apparent singularity of the differential equation)

I've done part (a) using indicial equations to find exponents, and then equate.
    Part B: From part a, i got using indicial equations that k_4=0 implies that c_1*a^2+c_2*a+c_3=0, so c_1*z^2+c_2*z+c_3 = c_1*(z-a)*(z-a') for some number a'. Then in the equation, if c_4*z+c_5 has a as a factor, i.e. c_5=-a*c_4, then we can divide through by z-a and get a hypergeometric D.E. So i need to prove that if the general solution is free of logarithms, then c_5=-a*c_4; i'm not quite sure how to do it rigorously. I tried doing it by using a power series about z=a, and proved that we reach a contradiction if there are no terms of negative power (i.e. (z-a)^(-t)) in the Laurent series, but I'm not sure how to justify that.
    for part (c ), i'm clueless.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted