1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hypergeometric function

1. Jun 7, 2006 #1
    I am having trouble with a problem that asks me to show that if I change the variable of integration of the following equation from t to t-1 the following

(disregard that z in the denominator, that should not be there)

will equal the following

(this one uses z's instead of t's)

I have tried simply changing the all the t's to t-1, and the only differentiating the t-1 term. That of course didn't work. I also tried a U substitution and that gave me an integral that looked like it couldn't be solved analytically (if you want me to post that code I can). I am not sure whether I even need to integrate, or whether this is one of those problems with a really quick shortuct and I can avoid doing any integration. Anyways, any help would be appreicated, thanks.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why do you think it should not be there? Without it, the right side does not depend on z at all, although the left side being 2F1(a,b;c;z) suggests it should.
  4. Jun 12, 2006 #3

Homework Helper

a Hypergeometric transformation

now substitute t=1-u which gives dt=-du to get

[tex]_2F_1(a,b;c;z) = -\int_{u=1}^{0}\frac{(1-u)^{b-1}u^{c-b-1}}{(1-z+uz)^{a}}du = \int_{u=0}^{1}\frac{u^{c-b-1}(1-u)^{b-1}}{(1-z)^a\left( 1+u\frac{z}{1-z}}\right) ^{a}}du [/tex]
    [tex]= (1-z)^{-a} \int_{u=0}^{1}\frac{u^{c-b-1}(1-u)^{b-1}}{\left( 1+u\frac{z}{1-z}}\right) ^{a}}du = (1-z)^{-a} \, _2F_1 \left( a,c-b;c ;\frac{z}{z-1}\right)[/tex]
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?