Hypergeometric Limits: Analyzing p(x)

In summary, the conversation discusses working with Hypergeometric functions and analyzing an equation with complex values. The speaker has a question about taking the limit of the equation as x approaches 0 and mentions relevant identities from a source. The conversation ends with a request for ideas from the others.
thatboi
I have been working with some Hypergeometric functions whose behavior I am not quite familiar with. Suppose the equation I wish to analyze is
##p(x) = (e^{x}-1)^{2i}\left({}_{2}F_{1}(a,b;c;e^{x}) + {}_{2}F_{1}(a+1,b+1;c+1;e^{x})\right)## where ##a,b,c## are all complex valued and we have ##\Re(c-a-b)>0## and we have ##\Re((c+1)-(a+1)-(b+1))=0## but ##(a+1)+(b+1)-(c+1) = 2i##. My question is, how do I take the proper limit of ##p(x)## as ##x\rightarrow 0##. I believe the relevant identities are (15.4.20) and (15.4.22) from https://dlmf.nist.gov/15.4 but there is still the limit of figuring out what ##0^{i}## means.
Let me know if you guys have any ideas. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex](e^x-1)^{2i}=e^{2\log(e^x-1)i}[/tex]
So as x##\rightarrow## 0, phase becomes undermined.

What is a hypergeometric limit?

A hypergeometric limit is a type of mathematical limit that involves analyzing the behavior of a hypergeometric function as its variables approach certain values. This type of limit is often used in statistics and probability to determine the likelihood of certain events occurring.

What is a hypergeometric function?

A hypergeometric function is a special type of mathematical function that is defined by a series of terms involving binomial coefficients. It is commonly used in statistics and probability to model the distribution of discrete random variables.

How is p(x) used in hypergeometric limits?

p(x) refers to the probability of obtaining a specific number of successes in a sample of size x, when sampling without replacement from a larger population. In hypergeometric limits, p(x) is used to calculate the likelihood of obtaining a certain number of successes in a given sample size, based on the hypergeometric distribution.

What are some real-world applications of hypergeometric limits?

Hypergeometric limits are commonly used in statistical analysis to determine the probability of obtaining a certain number of successes in a sample, such as in quality control or market research. They are also used in genetics to calculate the probability of certain gene combinations occurring in a population.

What are the limitations of hypergeometric limits?

Hypergeometric limits have limitations in their applicability to real-world scenarios. They assume that the sample size is relatively small compared to the population size, and that the samples are drawn without replacement. In addition, they are not suitable for continuous distributions and can be difficult to calculate for large sample sizes.