What Does the Third-Rank Tensor Represent in Nonlinear Optics?

• Thread starter DanSandberg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensor
In summary, the polarization of a molecule in nonlinear optics can be described by a power series with X1E(t) representing the linear response and everything after representing the nonlinear response. X2, which is commonly denoted as \beta, is a third-rank tensor and represents the amplitude of the electric field induced in the i direction given an unit incident field in the j direction applied after unit incident field in the k direction has already been applied. This can also be interpreted as the amplitude of the electric field induced in the i direction given a unit amplitude field in the j direction and a unit amplitude field in the k direction. This explanation helps to understand the meaning of indices in equations such as \betaxxx.
DanSandberg
In nonlinear optics the polarization of a molecule can be represented as a power series:

P(t)=X1E(t)+X2E2(t)+X3E3(t)+...

Where X1E(t) is the linear response and everything after is nonlinear. The polarization, P(t) and field strength E(t) are both vectors and X2 is a third-rank tensor, X3 is a fourth-rank, etc.

My question is... why is X2 a third-rank tensor? I'm having difficulty getting a straight answer as to what the indices represent. So in a paper where they say [tex]\beta[/tex]xxx what does that mean? (Where [tex]\beta[/tex] is commonly used in place of X2)

Physics news on Phys.org
My supervisor told me this:

Polarisability [tex] \alpha_{ij} [/tex], which is X1 in the power series, is the amplitude of the electric field induced in the molecule in the i direction given a unit amplitude field in the j direction, hence

[tex] E_i^{induced} = \alpha_{ij} E_j^{incident} [/tex]
(observing summation convention)

Extending this physical interpretation, [tex] \beta_{ijk} [/tex] (X2) is the amplitude of the electric field induced in the i direction given an unit incident field in the j direction applied after unit incident field in the k direction has already been applied, so

[tex] E_i^{induced} = \beta_{ijk} E_j^{incident2} E_k^{indicent1} [/tex]

Did I explain that in a way that makes sense?

Thanks
Scott

xGAME-OVERx said:
My supervisor told me this:

Polarisability [tex] \alpha_{ij} [/tex], which is X1 in the power series, is the amplitude of the electric field induced in the molecule in the i direction given a unit amplitude field in the j direction, hence

[tex] E_i^{induced} = \alpha_{ij} E_j^{incident} [/tex]
(observing summation convention)

Extending this physical interpretation, [tex] \beta_{ijk} [/tex] (X2) is the amplitude of the electric field induced in the i direction given an unit incident field in the j direction applied after unit incident field in the k direction has already been applied, so

[tex] E_i^{induced} = \beta_{ijk} E_j^{incident2} E_k^{indicent1} [/tex]

Did I explain that in a way that makes sense?

Thanks
Scott
Yes that makes ALOT of sense and is a great start in the right direction. For the linear response, I understand it completely. For for the second order response, there is only one applied (incident) field in the experiment. So when we talk about the direction of the applied field we are talking about the polarization of the incident light?

1. What is a hyperpolarizability tensor?

A hyperpolarizability tensor is a mathematical representation of the nonlinear optical response of a material. It describes how the material responds to an external electric field by producing a higher order polarization.

2. How is the hyperpolarizability tensor related to linear and nonlinear optics?

The hyperpolarizability tensor is a key parameter in understanding the nonlinear optical behavior of a material. It is related to linear optics through the linear polarizability tensor and is used to calculate the nonlinear optical susceptibility tensor.

3. What factors influence the value of the hyperpolarizability tensor?

The value of the hyperpolarizability tensor is influenced by a variety of factors, including the molecular structure of the material, the strength of the external electric field, and the frequency of the light used in the measurement.

4. How is the hyperpolarizability tensor experimentally determined?

The hyperpolarizability tensor can be experimentally determined through techniques such as hyper-Rayleigh scattering, electric-field-induced second harmonic generation, and electro-optic modulation.

5. What are the applications of the hyperpolarizability tensor?

The hyperpolarizability tensor has important applications in materials science, chemistry, and physics. It is used in the design of nonlinear optical materials for applications such as frequency conversion, optical switching, and optical data storage.