Troubleshooting a Hypersensitive Mouse

• Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
In summary, the mouse button switch is noisy and is causing problems with certain programs. A temporary fix is to switch the mouse buttons. If this doesn't fix the problem, the mouse might need to be replaced.
bomba923
"Hypersensitive Mouse"

Is there a way to solve this problem?
(without getting a new mouse)

Quite often, a single click with my mouse is interpreted as a double-click, and sometimes there no response after a single click :frown:...

How can I solve this issue?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Go to the 'Mouse' section in the Control Panel and check if something needs to be adjusted.

I consulted the 'Mouse' section before posting here, and found nothing useful. It said, "The hardware is working properly", and neither ClickHold nor altering the double-click speed scale helped.

:blushing: Hence this thread~

bomba923 said:
Quite often, a single click with my mouse is interpreted as a double-click

How can I solve this issue?

Sorry, I got a bit confused earlier.:blushing: For the problem mentioned above you need to change the settings under Folder Options. Hope it works this time. :wink:

neutrino said:
Sorry, I got a bit confused earlier.:blushing: For the problem mentioned above you need to change the settings under Folder Options. Hope it works this time. :wink:
It depends on where this problem occurs in Windows. If it's when he/she clicks on folders, then adjusting folder settings is the solution, but if it occurs globally (i.e. on taskbar tiles, menu items, etc.) then the problem lies with the mouse settings or the mouse itself.

bomba923- give us a little more information about when this problem happens.

It has nothing do with 'how many times I click"...but rather, how the mouse interprets my clicks. A single click is interpreted as a double-click, and sometimes a click is not recorded at all. The problem occurs globally--as you mentioned, z-component--nothing do with folders (but a general problem when I click on anything, anywhere)

Last edited:

I checked under control panel/hardware/mouse and everything was ok.

Sure enough when I tried my mouse on our other computer it did the same thing. It is the mouse. The micro swich evidently has become faulty and it sends several impulses with each click which plays havoc with my outlook express and my calculator.

Thanks for your answers. Ron

The problem seems like a noisy switch on your mouse button(s). Keyboards get around this problem by reducing the sample rate so it only occurs once every 4ms to 8 ms, or at least double the expected "bounce" period of the switch. I don't know if there's is any way to do this for a mouse with a noisy switch.

Check for dirt in the buttons, if they make flaky contact, that could be your problem.
There are electronics ways to fix it, but it's cheapest to buy a new mouse.

In a nutshell, your mouse has poor debouncing. You can solve it by either cleaning the microswitch (electrical contact cleaner) and a little dielectric grease or by replacing the mouse.

EASY FIX

As a temporary fix go to control panel and find the hardware tab, and then find where the controls for the mouse are located. For a quick fix until you can go to the store and drop another 10 or 20 bucks just switch the right and left mouse buttons. The change will take place immediately though so remember this as you might wonder why you can't close the window when you are don!

1. What causes a hypersensitive mouse?

A hypersensitive mouse can be caused by a variety of factors, including genetic predisposition, stress, environmental factors, and medical conditions. It can also be a side effect of certain medications.

2. How can I tell if my mouse is hypersensitive?

Some common signs of a hypersensitive mouse include excessive grooming, sensitivity to touch, overreacting to stimuli, and avoidance of certain activities or objects. A veterinarian can also perform tests to determine if your mouse is hypersensitive.

3. Can a hypersensitive mouse be cured?

There is no specific cure for a hypersensitive mouse, as it is often a lifelong condition. However, there are ways to manage and reduce the sensitivity through environmental changes, behavior modification, and in some cases, medication.

4. How can I make my mouse more comfortable if it is hypersensitive?

Creating a calm and stress-free environment for your mouse can help reduce hypersensitivity. This can include providing hiding spots, minimizing loud noises, and avoiding sudden movements. Additionally, offering a varied and enriching environment can help distract your mouse from its hypersensitivity.

5. Is it possible to prevent hypersensitivity in mice?

While there is no guaranteed way to prevent hypersensitivity in mice, you can reduce the risk by providing a healthy and enriched environment, minimizing stressors, and avoiding over-handling or rough play. It is also important to regularly monitor your mouse's health and address any medical conditions promptly.