Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hyperspace is making me dizzy

1. Jul 18, 2008 #1
    I have been working on this problem for several months.
    i wasn't even sure where to post this question, but it is in respect to a pretty simple equation of distance/time=speed [right? it would be really bad if i got THAT wrong too]

i'm trying to make my sci-fi book as acurate as possible and want to get my times and speeds prety close.
    this is the problem: how many multiples of the speed of light would you have to be going at to travel
    4.5mly in more than 6 months
    150klys in between <3 and >20 days
    the multiple of the speed of light would be the hyperdrive "rating" even though they were still traveling at subluminal speeds locally.
    so i broke everything down into miles and seconds.

3x10^15 miles/15x10^6 seconds= 200,000,000 m/s to travel 4.5 mly in 6 months
    10^13 miles/2x10^8 m/s= about 13 days

so 1000 times the speed of light.

this all seemed to fit. however i recently read in a physics book that at 1500 times the speed of light it would take 6 hours to travel ONE lightyear. and i knew i screwed up somewhere, and i don't have a clue where becuase i came home and checked all my math and am still at a loss.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted