1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hypersphere projection

1. Jul 15, 2011 #1
    Hello,

Is it possible to project a hypersphere (a 3-sphere) onto a plane? is this possible using stereographic projection?

Please, if this is possible I would appreciate a nice explain me about how to do it.

Thank you!

Carol

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2011 #2

xts

Of course, not!
    You may stereographically project the 2-dimensional sphere (bended in 3 dims) on 2-dimensional flat plane. Similiraly, you could develop some projections of 3-D hypershere, bended in 4th dim onto flat 3-D space. But not on 2-D one.

You may think about projecting it first on flat 3D Euclidean space, and then use some common method of visualisation to present it as a 2-D picture.

4. Jul 18, 2011 #3
    Hello xts,

Thank you for your reply and sorry if I am being too naive but I do not follow your answer. Could you please explain me a bit more? (sorry but this is not my background)

From what I have read in text books I know that you can project the surface of a sphere in a 2-D plane, my problem is that I want to project every point in the sphere (not only the surface) on a 2D plane, that's why my question was about hypersphere projection (but maybe I am also confuse about this??).

If you can help me about this I would really appreciate it and sorry again if I am asking the obvious.

Thank you!

5. Jul 18, 2011 #4

xts

Then you must project infinite number of points (some line segment) of your sphere into a single point on your plane.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook