1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hypersurface orthogonality

1. May 15, 2007 #1

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Just a quick question. Suppose we are considering a (1+1) spacetime. Are all vector fields hypersurface orthogonal? I think the answer is yes, since in the formula [tex]\xi_{[a}\partial_b \xi_{c]}[/tex], two indices will always be the same, which I think automatically makes the expression equal to zero, but am just seeking clarification!

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are correct. In 2d, a vector field has a 'pretty unique' orthogonal direction (up to direction reversal). So use that orthogonal direction to integrate a curve from a starting point. That curve is the orthogonal 'hypersurface'. So you can visualize it geometrically as well.

4. May 15, 2007 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Thanks, Dick. It's just this question I'm doing on an old exam paper. I've found a killing vector, and transformed into new coordinates so that it is of the form d/dt. The question then asks 'is this spacetime static'. Since the 2d metric is lorentzian, d/dt is clearly timelike => stationary. Then I calculated the hypersurface orthogaonality equation and saw that it was clearly satisfied, thus the spacetime is stationary, then thought about the situation and conjectured that all KV's in 2d are hypersurface orthogonal.

I just wanted to know I was right really, since this question will be on the exam, and saw this is a nice shortcut.

Anyway, thanks again for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?