Are all Killing Vectors in 2D Spacetime Hypersurface Orthogonal?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of hypersurface orthogonal vector fields in a (1+1) spacetime. The question being considered is whether all vector fields in this spacetime are hypersurface orthogonal. It is confirmed that the answer is yes, as the formula \xi_{[a}\partial_b \xi_{c]} always results in an expression equal to zero, making the vector field automatically hypersurface orthogonal. The geometric visualization of this concept is also discussed. The conversation then moves on to a specific question on an old exam paper, where a killing vector is found and transformed into new coordinates. It is determined that the spacetime in question is stationary and that all killing vectors in 2d are hypersurface orthogonal. The speaker
cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Just a quick question. Suppose we are considering a (1+1) spacetime. Are all vector fields hypersurface orthogonal? I think the answer is yes, since in the formula [tex]\xi_{[a}\partial_b \xi_{c]}[/tex], two indices will always be the same, which I think automatically makes the expression equal to zero, but am just seeking clarification!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are correct. In 2d, a vector field has a 'pretty unique' orthogonal direction (up to direction reversal). So use that orthogonal direction to integrate a curve from a starting point. That curve is the orthogonal 'hypersurface'. So you can visualize it geometrically as well.

Thanks, Dick. It's just this question I'm doing on an old exam paper. I've found a killing vector, and transformed into new coordinates so that it is of the form d/dt. The question then asks 'is this spacetime static'. Since the 2d metric is lorentzian, d/dt is clearly timelike => stationary. Then I calculated the hypersurface orthogaonality equation and saw that it was clearly satisfied, thus the spacetime is stationary, then thought about the situation and conjectured that all KV's in 2d are hypersurface orthogonal.

I just wanted to know I was right really, since this question will be on the exam, and saw this is a nice shortcut.

Anyway, thanks again for the help!

1. What is hypersurface orthogonality?

Hypersurface orthogonality is a concept in differential geometry that refers to the property of a hypersurface (a surface in a higher-dimensional space) being perpendicular to another hypersurface at a given point.

2. How is hypersurface orthogonality different from regular orthogonality?

Hypersurface orthogonality is a more general concept than regular orthogonality in which two objects are perpendicular to each other. In hypersurface orthogonality, the two objects are not necessarily in the same dimension, and the perpendicularity is evaluated at a specific point rather than over a larger area.

3. What is the significance of hypersurface orthogonality in physics?

Hypersurface orthogonality plays a crucial role in general relativity, a theory of gravity in which the curvature of spacetime is described as a hypersurface. It is also relevant in other areas of physics, such as fluid dynamics, where it is used to describe the behavior of shock waves.

4. How is hypersurface orthogonality used in computer science?

In computer science, hypersurface orthogonality is applied in computer graphics and computer vision to determine the angles and orientations of objects in a 3D space. It is also used in machine learning algorithms to classify and recognize objects based on their geometric properties.

5. Are there any real-world applications of hypersurface orthogonality?

Yes, hypersurface orthogonality has several real-world applications, including the design of efficient and stable aircraft wings, the optimization of traffic flow in transportation systems, and the development of new materials with specific properties. It is also used in medical imaging to reconstruct 3D models of internal organs and to identify abnormalities in tissues.