Hypervelocity Stars: Exploring the Mysteries

• Thread starter shnazzybox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stars
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of white holes and how they relate to hyper-velocity stars being ejected from black holes. There is speculation about whether the intense build up of mass in a distorted space-time could force a hyper-velocity star out, or if it is similar to two objects pressing against each other until one slips. There is also a comparison made to a black hole being like an infected pore on the surface of space. However, it is noted that this visualization is incorrect as gravity warps four-dimensional space, not two-dimensional.
shnazzybox
I'm not very good with words so if this seems redundant or not very well put together, know that i tried...

I recently heard about white holes through an example of water from a faucet. The event horizon was a the ring of water that appears in the sink while the water is running. In the "even horizon" the water was moving fast enough to not allow water to move in the opposite direction. With this in mind, i realized that hyper-velocity stars are most likely capable of being shot out of a black hole because they're moving at a speed faster then the black holes mass. (very rough explanation) Anyway, Hyper-velocity stars generally appear to be coming from black holes surrounding a massive black hole, since space time is flat and these black holes are all absorbing so much energy, could a hvs be forced out by the intense build up of all the mass under the distorted space time? (Like a pimple?) Or is it being shot out like in a situation involving two objects pressing against each other until one slips, tilts, ect, and the second is shot out with a speed equivalent to the pressure?

[just a thought, is it wrong to assume space time is like a layer of skin? Since a black hole is so heavy it makes sense to picture them as sinking inward and holding the energy in a region just below the surface of space, like an infected pore. I could be WAY wrong here and in this case i can under stand why none of this would make much sense.]

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well firstly, gravity doesn't bend two dimensional space which is how you are visualizing it (Curvature on a membrane). Gravity is the warping of four dimensional space which is much more difficult to visualize.

1. What are hypervelocity stars?

Hypervelocity stars are extremely fast-moving stars that are thought to have been ejected from our galaxy, the Milky Way, at speeds of over 1 million miles per hour. They are believed to be the result of interactions with supermassive black holes or other high-energy events.

2. How are hypervelocity stars discovered?

Hypervelocity stars are typically discovered by measuring their high speeds and tracing their trajectories back to determine their origin. This is often done through spectroscopy, which measures the star's light spectrum, or through precise astrometry, which tracks the star's movement over time.

3. What makes hypervelocity stars unique?

Hypervelocity stars are unique because of their extreme speeds and their origin from within our own galaxy. They also tend to be much younger than other stars in our galaxy, as they are often ejected from their birthplaces at a young age.

4. What can the study of hypervelocity stars tell us?

Studying hypervelocity stars can help us better understand the processes that occur in the centers of galaxies, such as the interactions between stars and black holes. They can also provide insight into the formation and evolution of our own galaxy.

5. Are there any potential dangers associated with hypervelocity stars?

While hypervelocity stars are incredibly fast-moving, they are typically too far away from Earth to pose any danger. However, if a hypervelocity star were to pass through our solar system, it could potentially disrupt the orbits of planets and other objects. Luckily, the chances of this happening are very small.