1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hypotenuse as required

1. Feb 21, 2016 #1
    I wonder if I have found the most efficient way of finding any pythagoras triple with a given hypotenuse that has not been published?
    My method uses a trial and error search, but with the limits set to minimize the number of trials as follows:
    Try odd values X within the limits of int(C^0.5) +1 to int(2.C)^0.5 inclusive such that
    2.C - X^2 = Y^2. C being the required hypotenuse. {This is always possible and in a number of ways depending on the number (at least one) of prime factors of form 4n+1 in C.}
    Then the required value of one side of the triangle is given by X.Y
    Example C= 65
    lower limit = 9 upper limit = 11
    X = 11, Y = 3 or X = 9 Y = 7

33^2 + 56^2 = 65^2 or 63^2 + 16^2 = 65^2

These are primitive solutions, but non primitive ones can be found by applying the above method to C = 5 or 17 and then multiplying the three sides by 17 or 5.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I moved this thread from the textbooks section, as it seemed more related to the mathematics and very little to textbooks.

4. Feb 21, 2016 #3

fresh_42

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Your examples can all be found by the equation ##(u^2-v^2)^2 + (2uv)^2 = (u^2+v^2)^2## which is well known.
    I can't remember and haven't looked up whether all triples can be found this way. Nevertheless, your's can be found, e.g. ##65^2=8^2+1^2=7^2+4^2##.

5. Feb 21, 2016 #4

mathman

Science Advisor

This gives all triples.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook