Hypothesis Testing: Comparing Birth Weights of Chinese and Caucasian Babies

In summary: Thank you for the feedback. In summary, the conversation discusses testing the claim that the mean birth weight of Chinese babies is less than the mean birth weight of Caucasian babies. The attempted solution involves calculating a test statistic using a student t distribution and comparing it to a critical value. The sample size, mean, and standard deviation of the Chinese baby sample are provided, and the null and alternative hypotheses are stated. The conclusion is that the null hypothesis is rejected, indicating that there is a significant difference in the mean birth weight between Chinese and Caucasian babies. There is also a brief mention of a question about the accuracy of the explanation, but it is not clearly stated.
xsgx
The problem:

A simple random sample of 1862 births of Chinese babies resulted in a mean birth weight of 3171 g and a standard deviation of 428 g
(based on “Comparison of Birth Weight Distributions between Chinese and Caucasian Infants,” by Wen et al., American Journal of Epidemiology, Vol.172, No 10). Use a 0.01 significance level to test the claim that the mean birth weight of Chinese babies is less than the mean birth weight of 3369 g for Caucasian babies.

The attempted solution:

The null hypothesis is that the mean weight of Caucasian babies is the same as the mean weight for Chinese babies Ho: M = 3369, and the alternative hypothesis is that the mean weight for Chinese babies is less so H1: M<3369. For the first step I calculated the test statistic for the student t distribution because the standard deviation of the population is not known;using these values, sample mean=3171, Population mean = 3369(the mean weight in grams for the population of Caucasian babies because we are comparing the mean weight of the Chinese baby sample to the Caucasian baby population mean weight), the sample standard deviation 428, and the sample size 1862
TBB3ZfOqpuL0MokisbfmNbgIpEv4Nml20mm8QHMKMI2-rJytbbkGbxFEkemWEDaZVsaI6dXIs2KaUQcjoq5dn7UlYgSFQgBg.png
:which gave me a test statistic score T=-0.0107. I used the traditional method of using critical values. With a significance level of .01 and the hypothesis test being left tailed because the alternative hypothesis has a “less than” sign the critical value I calculated using statdisk was T=-2.33. Because the test statistic -0.0107 is far above that critical value I failed to reject the null hypothesis that M(Mean weight for Chinese babies)= 3369 (Mean weight for Caucasian babies).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a question?

Last edited by a moderator:
Parentheses might help you sort out the arithmetic error in your work. Notice that the variance of the mean should always be less than the variance of a single sample. The difference between Chinese and American babies is almost .5 standard deviations. The score for comparing means will be larger than this...01 is way too low.
Also, the T test is not wrong, but you will find that it should be almost exactly the same as the standard normal for a sample size of 428.

Mark44 said:
Do you have a question?

Well the question is sort of self evident isn't it? Does my explanation contain any errors?

xsgx said:
Well the question is sort of self evident isn't it? Does my explanation contain any errors?
I see your explanation, but I don't see a question, such as "Does my explanation contain any errors?"

Revised answer:

The null hypothesis is that the mean weight of Caucasian babies is the same as the mean weight for Chinese babies Ho: M = 3369, and the alternative hypothesis is that the mean weight for Chinese babies is less so H1: M<3369. For the first step I calculated the test statistic for the student t distribution because the standard deviation of the population is not known;using these values, sample mean=3171, Population mean = 3369(the mean weight in grams for the population of Caucasian babies because we are comparing the mean weight of the Chinese baby sample to the Caucasian baby population mean weight), the sample standard deviation 428, and the sample size 1862:
5BdJmRK-lsKIfks1tAV9WNipNXt2KEDSLrAqevCRT8e3uKAnygsz1-TXp1gEPfPesJ2df_3UNPiLNjNb6S9-ii64FHVEfhJw.png
which gave me a test statistic score T=-19.96233. I used the traditional method of using critical values. With a significance level of .01 and the hypothesis test being left tailed because the alternative hypothesis has a “less than” sign the critical value I calculated using statdisk was T=-2.33. Because the test statistic -19.96233 is far below that critical value I rejected the null hypothesis that M(Mean weight for Chinese babies)= 3369 (Mean weight for Caucasian babies).

Did I miss anything? Are there are problems in my arithmetic, logic, or anything else?

Mark44 said:
I see your explanation, but I don't see a question, such as "Does my explanation contain any errors?"
I will be sure to follow the template and to include the question in my next post.

What is hypothesis testing?

Hypothesis testing is a statistical method used to determine whether there is enough evidence to support or reject a claim about a population. It involves making assumptions about the population and collecting data to determine if those assumptions are supported by the evidence.

Why is it important to compare birth weights of Chinese and Caucasian babies?

Comparing birth weights of Chinese and Caucasian babies can provide insight into potential differences in health and development between these two populations. It can also help identify potential risk factors or disparities in healthcare for certain ethnic groups.

What is the null hypothesis in this study?

The null hypothesis in this study would be that there is no significant difference in birth weights between Chinese and Caucasian babies. In other words, any differences observed in the data are due to chance or random variation.

What is the alternative hypothesis in this study?

The alternative hypothesis in this study would be that there is a significant difference in birth weights between Chinese and Caucasian babies. This would suggest that there are factors other than chance or random variation that are influencing the birth weights in these two populations.

What statistical test would be appropriate for this study?

A t-test or ANOVA (analysis of variance) would be appropriate for this study, as they are commonly used to compare means between two or more groups. However, the specific test used would depend on the specific research question and data being analyzed.