Is It Possible for Earth to Become a Desert in Just 100 Years?

In summary: Geology forum.In summary, the conversation is about a project involving a global desert on Earth and the presence of underground water pockets. The original poster is looking for a plausible explanation for the drastic reduction of water on Earth within a short span of time (100 years). The response suggests the possibility of a run-away greenhouse effect causing the evaporation of water from the planet, similar to what happened on Venus. However, this process would take longer than 100 years. The conversation also mentions another thread in the Geology forum discussing similar considerations.
Dallingtonp
I found a couple of threads on the subject, but they didn't really give me the answers I was looking for.

I'm working on a project where Earth has become a global desert. The statue of liberty surrounded by wasteland, New York City barren and covered with sand, same story everywhere else on earth, basically a very dry setting. There are however pockets of water, underground lakes and rivers, where humans have built settlements which are violently contested.

My question is are there any plausible scenarios where the amount of water on Earth has been drastically reduced in a relatively short (a hundred years or so) span of time?
I do realize that water normally doesn't just disappear, so, I was hoping somebody here could come up with a clever way to explain its absence.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Dallingtonp, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Here is a place where science of all kinds is discussed. Members who contribute here have high levels of education, or experience, or both. We use mainstream sources like textbooks and scientific journal articles to back up our posts.

What we do not do here is deal with science fiction. Your project seems to me to be sci-fi imaginary story. If I am mistaken, please post some reference material so others can read up on the science supporting your project.

Edit: Click on "Rules" on the top of the page.

Last edited:
Cheers,

And yes, it is a science fiction project. However I would like it to be plausible, so I was wondering if there were any theoretical scenarios where large amounts of water could just vanish without help from aliens or a mad scientist.

How quickly do you want it to vanish?

There is the greenhouse effect, which, taken to an extreme would lead to evaporation of water off the planet. It has been postulated that Venus started off with a similar amount of water vapour to Earth but lost it due to a run-away greenhouse effect. This could be caused by a major release of CO2 into the atmosphere (say through enormous amount of volcanic activity), or could be caused by the gradual increase in solar radiation flux (the sun is slowly getting 'brighter'). However these would take a lot longer than 100yrs...

JesseC said:
... It has been postulated that Venus started off with a similar amount of water vapour to Earth but lost it due to a run-away greenhouse effect...

There are some considerations about that in a nearly identical thread

1. What is "Hypothetical desert earth"?

"Hypothetical desert earth" refers to a theoretical scenario in which the majority of the Earth's land surface is covered in desert regions, with limited access to water and resources.

2. What would be the impact of "Hypothetical desert earth" on the environment?

The impact of "Hypothetical desert earth" on the environment would be significant, as it would lead to changes in global climate, loss of biodiversity, and potential ecological collapse.

3. How would human society be affected by "Hypothetical desert earth"?

Human society would face numerous challenges in a "Hypothetical desert earth" scenario, including water scarcity, food insecurity, and displacement of populations in affected regions.

4. Is "Hypothetical desert earth" a possible future scenario?

While it is not a current reality, "Hypothetical desert earth" could potentially occur in the future if there is continued global warming and depletion of natural resources.

5. What can be done to prevent or mitigate "Hypothetical desert earth"?

To prevent or mitigate "Hypothetical desert earth", it is crucial to take immediate action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, protect and restore natural ecosystems, and develop sustainable practices for resource management.