Hypothetical Questions about Inertial Drives

In summary: I: In summary, the conversation is about hypothetical devices that have never worked and the inconsistencies within the theory.
Xraygunner
I know what most people think about reactionless drives and or inertial drives, but I still have some hypothetical questions about the latter.

In most inertial drive setups there is usually a spinning flywheel of some sort that is balanced. Next the inventor trys to offset the balance for a very brief amount of time to create a unidirectional thrust.

My questions overlook the fact that none of these devices have ever worked besides gyroscopic precession. Just play along for now that one of these devices does work as described.

1. If you had a "thrust" of say 10 Newtons 4 times per second, how would you figure out how much thrust/sec you have?

2. If the flywheel is spinning at a given rate how many times could you cause a pulse (thrust) without stopping the wheel or slowing it to a rate that would be usless to your purposes?

Sorry about all the make believe, but I get these things in my head and can't let go sometimes.

Thanks for you patients, and if this is in the wrong place please...move it along!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question makes no sense. It's asking a theory - in this case, the theory of mechanics - to make accurate calculations of things that it says are impossible. It's not even internally consistent.

Okay, then.

I'm sure those of you that are much smarter than me...(there are many), get where I'm going with this. If there are inconsistancies just point them out. I've already conceded that there are inherent problems with this type of system. I've asked two seemingly simple questions. If you don't want to answer that is fine. All I ask is that you just humor the ignorant. I'm not asking for a smack down.

For #1, thrust is force. Newtons. I guess you could calculate an average thrust. That might be useful.

For #2, Vanadium is right - the question assumes the existence of something that doesn't exist. So I guess that means the answer is zero.

If you asked us "how many sides does a square circle have", how would you expect us to answer? It's the same kind of built-in contradiction.

Nevermind...

Thanks for the effort.

It just dawned on me that this forum is most probably not used to "what ifs". It is more geared toward solid proven methods and facts.

So for that oversite I oppologise.

I think you misunderstand the nature of their problem. They're not being stubborn or closed-minded. Basically what you're saying is something like "I know that Force = mass * acceleration but let's say for a second it didn't and I have a 1 kg mass with a 1 m / s^2 acceleration, what would the force on it be?". So in other words you're asking what result would physical theory predict if physical theory didn't apply.

As for the average thrust well 10 N 4 times a second = 40 N / s

Xraygunner said:
It just dawned on me that this forum is most probably not used to "what ifs". It is more geared toward solid proven methods and facts.

So for that oversite I oppologise.

I believe it's a more fundamental problem than that. If one asks a hypothetical question that does not obey the fundamental laws, then one may choose any answer one wishes as there is no law to disprove it.

CS

1. What is an inertial drive?

An inertial drive is a hypothetical propulsion system that uses the principle of inertia to generate thrust without the need for traditional fuel or external propellant. It theorizes that by manipulating the mass or energy of an object, it can be accelerated in a specific direction.

2. How does an inertial drive work?

The exact mechanism of an inertial drive is still unknown, as it is currently just a theoretical concept. However, it is believed that by using advanced technologies and principles such as electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and relativity, an inertial drive would be able to manipulate the mass or energy of an object to create thrust in a specific direction.

3. Is there any evidence for the existence of inertial drives?

While there have been some experiments and prototypes developed that claim to demonstrate the principles of the inertial drive, there is currently no concrete evidence to prove its existence. The concept is still in the realm of theoretical physics and would require significant advances in technology to be realized.

4. What are the potential applications of inertial drives?

If the inertial drive is proven to be feasible and can be developed, it could revolutionize space travel by providing a more efficient and faster way to travel through space. It could also have applications in transportation on Earth, as it would eliminate the need for fossil fuels and reduce the environmental impact of traditional propulsion systems.

5. What are the potential challenges of developing an inertial drive?

The potential challenges of developing an inertial drive include the need for advanced technologies and materials, as well as a better understanding of the underlying principles and mechanisms involved. It would also require a significant amount of funding and research to make it a reality. Additionally, there may be ethical considerations in using such a powerful and potentially dangerous technology.