Hypothetical spacecrafts traveling at light speed.

In summary, two spacecraft traveling at the speed of light is impossible and therefore the question about illuminating one spacecraft with a beam of light is irrelevant. The concept of mass has nothing to do with the speed of light remaining constant for all observers. Any discussion about breaking the speed barrier is moot because of the constant speed of light.
Holocene
Ignoring the mass problem, imagine 2 spacecraft s are traveling at exactly the speed of light. One spacecraft directly behind the other, with only a hundred feet or so between them.

If the speed of light is always the same for any observer, is it safe to say that when the trailing spacecraft flashes a beam of light at the leading spacecraft , that an observer WOULD see the leading spacecraft as having been "illuminated"?

Physics news on Phys.org
Holocene said:
Ignoring the mass problem, imagine 2 spacecraft s are traveling at exactly the speed of light.
You are having a question about a situation that cannot physically exist, not even in principle. So how do you expect a sensible answer?

MeJennifer said:
You are having a question about a situation that cannot physically exist, not even in principle. So how do you expect a sensible answer?

My apologies.

Agreed. Unless you're willing to rephrase your question to "Just under the speed of light" there's no way to answer. If you rephrased the question so, the answer would be 'yes'.

Ignoring the mass problem, imagine 2 spacecraft s are traveling at exactly the speed of light.
Also you have not said in what frame of reference they are measuring the speed. Any statement 'a is traveling at speed v' is meaningless unless it is specified what observer measures v.

I think that it would not be actually possible to see them as they both would have 0 size to any third observer. But I am not sure that the rule is exactly such, and if we ignore that I would say that to any third observer both travellers would seem to be completely halted. So a third observer would not be able to see the one behind doing anything to light the flash. Again, if we ignore that then anyway a third observer would not see the spacecraft in front being iluminated. The third observer would see that they both manage to catch up with all the light beams that get lighted out of their spacecraft s in the same direction that they are travelling. I.e. you yourself can not see that you catch up with a light beam when running after it but any other observer that moves with a different speed can see you doing more or less well.

I'm not an expert though.

Last edited:
I think I may get what you are asking and there is purpose for exploration. It is not that nothing can go faster than the speed of light ( save things with mass) which light does not. It is that INFORMATION can not travel faster than light, usually making any discussion of this type a moot point seeing as their would be no way to prove or even know that something has broken the lightspeed mark. With that said if you do want to ignore the spaceship problem and strictly discuss the behavior of light then this is a very interesting question and it is disappointing to see snappy responses to your question. If your situation were to occur the rear spaceship would impart its relative motion onto the light causing it to shift frequencies. If the spaceship in front were going slightly slower than the spaceship in the rear I believe the front ship would receive some sort of notification

Holocene said:
If the speed of light is always the same for any observer, is it safe to say that when the trailing spacecraft flashes a beam of light at the leading spacecraft , that an observer WOULD see the leading spacecraft as having been "illuminated"?

This, not "the mass problem," is the reason nothing can travel at c. The speed of light is the same for everyone, so there is no reference frame which travels at the same speed as light rays do, for in that frame, photons would be at rest, not traveling at c. Mass has nothing to do with it.

No mass has nothing to do with it and I hope Holocene understands it is only through relativity that you cannot break the speed barrier. In short light is always a constant speed and if you were driving forward and turn on your headlights they would come out, as they should. Clearly if you are traveling at x speed and your headlights are running out in front of you AND we know that light never goes faster than C It is by default or simple reasoning that you cannot break the speed barrier. Einstein says the speed of light is always the same and never faster and anytime you try light will out run you. 2nd place means you can't break the speed barrier ;)

What is light speed?

Light speed is the speed at which light travels in a vacuum, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second or 186,282 miles per second. It is considered to be the fastest speed possible in the universe.

Can a spacecraft travel at light speed?

Hypothetically, yes. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, an object with mass can never reach the speed of light, but it can come close. The closer the object gets to light speed, the more energy it would require, making it practically impossible for our current technology.

What would happen to a spacecraft traveling at light speed?

As the spacecraft approaches light speed, it would experience time dilation, meaning time would appear to slow down for the travelers on board. It would also experience length contraction, making the spacecraft appear shorter in the direction of travel. The spacecraft would also require an immense amount of energy to reach this speed.

How long would it take for a spacecraft to reach a destination at light speed?

At light speed, time essentially stops, so from the perspective of the travelers on board, the journey would be instantaneous. However, from an outside perspective, the distance traveled would still take time to cover. For example, it would take approximately 4.3 years to reach the closest star system, Alpha Centauri, at light speed.

What are the potential dangers of traveling at light speed?

Aside from the technological limitations and immense energy requirements, there are also potential dangers to the travelers themselves. The high speeds and energies involved could lead to collisions with interstellar dust and particles, causing damage to the spacecraft and potential harm to the travelers. Time dilation could also have significant effects on the human body, potentially causing health problems.