Hypothetical War: Nazi Germany vs Imperial Japan

• Thread starter Zdenka
  • Start date
Harry Turtledove's World War series (starts with In the Balance: An Alternate History of the Second World War) is about the ultimate Deus Ex Machina during World War II: Alien Invasion! Entertaining, but the entire series (broken into three time periods each separated by 20ish years) is something like 12 volumes.
True
just don't buy the last book, a crushing anti-climax and written with a disappointing lack of imagination; it gave the impression he just wanted to wind the series up and move on to his next project.

Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have a lot of issues with hypothesizing about a war that could not be fought. Just where does this war take place? In Japan? How did Germany get its army there? In Germany? Same question other way round. Neither had the technology, nor the logistic chops to pull off this sort of war. Nobody did until the US was forced to develop it in the process of fighting WWII.

Had they shared a border somewhere it may make sense to have this discussion.

Just my opinion of course.

In 1944
as opposed to what? I don't think B-17s were choosing which chimney stack they were going to pop their bomb down and capturing it on all-angle video for CNN back home.

40s strategic bombing had massive associated collateral, usually in terms of civilians but that was the level of technology available and I doubt the others outside of the 'many' would question LeMay's or Harris's desire to kick the enemy in the teeth.

Strategic bombing disrupted armament manufacture, dispersing it and causing new problems, lines of communication and tied up vast quantities of Axis resources including troops, AAA, fighters and precious fuel. In December 44, the Luftwaffe lost around 550 pilots (and their aircraft), eroding their fighting effectiveness; taking on the bomber streams was bleeding the Luftwaffe to death.

Punitive bombing, if you want to call it that, shortened the war. It's because of them that the tutters and tongue-clickers can have their little juries in the first place.

Rather than engage in petty ad hominem shots, you might actually read a bit of the history. Were you to look at pre-war ACTS doctrine, you would know that civilian deaths were not collateral damage, but rather an intentional blow at morale, one that even USSBS admits didn't work that well.