Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hysteresis loop in maxwell

1. Jun 24, 2014 #1
    hi my dear friends

i face with a problem in ansoft maxwell;

i want to import a hysteresis material's loop into maxwell's material s libraray

but i cant!:(

is there anyone who can help me?

with the best wishes:)

pedro

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2014 #2

gerbi

Gold Member

In material library click "add material". Now you can define parameters of your new material. Select "nonlinear" instead of "simple" for relative permeability and then left-click on newly appeared button "B-H curve". Add B-H points defining curve here.
    Another approach (when you need to define B-H loops in all 3 directions x,y,z) is to select "anisotropic" instead of "nonlinear" in first step. Then you can select "nonlinear" for every axis (and three separate B-H curves).

One more thing. This feature has evolved in maxwell, so it may not be avaible in your version for some solvers or may be working a little differently (I am using v.16.0.0).

4. Jun 25, 2014 #3
    i use v16.0.0
    AND i do what you say
    but its not accept a b-h curve points and says "
    http://s1.uploads.im/BUlWJ.jpg [Broken]
    http://s1.uploads.im/BUlWJ.jpg [Broken]

THANKS A LOT

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Jun 25, 2014 #4

gerbi

Gold Member

Hmm.. you want to input full B-H curve ? No chance. Use only one quarter of characteristic (+ H / + B) and average values (maxwell will accept only single B-H curve).

6. Jun 25, 2014 #5
    realy??!!

no way to import full b-h curve?

so how a motor can be designed with hysteresis material.....:(:(

its too bad

thank you for cooperation

7. Jun 25, 2014 #6

gerbi

Gold Member

It can be done with average values (single curve for +H/+B). Thats how it's done in most cases.

8. Jun 26, 2014 #7
    Most magnetostatic simulators solve linear material models only. Yes, it sucks but you can do surprisingly well by using a linear simulation and simply watching out for fields that approach within 80% of the saturation field. The simulations for linear are radically faster than those that include hysteresis (which is both nonlinear AND time-dependent).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook